so too

Hahoo   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm GMT
'The affection she had for her brother was real, but so, too, was her recognition of his strength of character.'

Is the 'too' here needed?
Examples please.
Entbark   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 am GMT
Redundancy for emphasis.

It seems, from your brief selection, that there was some doubt whether she recognized his strength of character, or possibly her feelings were at odds with each other. She had affection for him, yet that was not the only emotion guiding her actions.
Guest.   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 am GMT
It is needed because "but" was used to connect the clauses. If it had been "and", it would have been unnecessary.
Uriel   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:21 am GMT
"So, too" is very commonly used, so just get used to it, even if you don't feel it's "necessary".
Hooha   Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm GMT
<'The affection she had for her brother was real, but so, too, was her recognition of his strength of character.' >

Real recognition of "strength of character" is somehow contrastive with real "affection"?
Uriel   Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:09 am GMT
Must be.

Without more to go on in the way of context, I would assume that what's going on here is that the author is establishing that the sister's recognition of the brother's strength of character is unbiased, and not solely a product of her affection for him (doting siblings are often guilty of thinking their relatives are more wonderful than they really are!).
Hooha   Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:23 am GMT
But doesn't it mean:

<Although the affection she had for her brother was real, so, too, was her recognition of his strength of character.>

The recognition would be real, whether or not she was biased. It might be based on a false assessment; but it would still be real.

Quibbling, I know. I just wonder if it's a false antithesis.