"My Brother" Hebrew, Arabic? Other?

K.   Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:40 pm GMT
I understand that in Israel, Jewish people call each other "brother", is this also common in Arabic-speaking countries? Taking that a bit further, do men call women "sister" and do women call each other "sister" (even if they are not closely related)?

This is a language and cultural question, not a political question.

In Spanish, we call people an "uncle" even when he is not an uncle.
In Japanese, we call people "aunt" and "uncle" for middle-aged people.
In Chinese, there is something similar.
Piojo   Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 pm GMT
K.T., ¿sos vos? ¿Qué pasó con la T?
Banana   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 pm GMT
Are you referring to using 'tío' to refer to a guy? That's more colloquial than standard language usage.
K.   Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 pm GMT
¿La T? Ah sí, Se casó con otra letra. That's my story anyway.

Back to the topic: Yes, I know tío or tía is colloquial. It's used in Spain, but I don't know if people use it in every country. I think people used to say "Auntie" or "Uncle" in the US and Britain, but it doesn't have the same sense as tío.

I also had "grandparents" who weren't my grandparents when I was
growing up, so if you want to widen the topic, I suppose it could be "Familial names for people who are not strictly in your family", but I'm mostly interested in hearing about "brother" and "sister" in Israel and also in other Semitic languages.

Of course, I don't speak every language, so if you want to give a similar example from a language you know, feel free to jump in until the topic is removed.

I made fewer than ten posts the other day, yet I was blocked. Huh?
K.   Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm GMT
In short, I'd like to find out about the usage in Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic. That is, if we have anyone who speaks these languages here...
cuz   Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 pm GMT
Some English speakers say "cuz" (cousin), even if they arent'related.
Jeremy   Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 am GMT
Arabic speaking people don't do that as far as I know, but I've only had a few semesters worth of language and culture. They do like saying "my friend", even in English I noticed. I started picking up on it on accident just being around them, haha.

They have titles:

sayid/a: sir/mam
shabaab: guys
yaa!: hey!
rajul /'imara': man

' = glottal stop like in "uh-oh"

I know there are a few colloquials I don't know yet. Like the word for "dude" exists, I just can't remember how to pronounce it.

As for the uncle thing, Arabs do that too. Usually reserved for older poor guys or among close friends as a nickname. That word is:

a'm

Here the ' represents an "ayn", which is pronounced just like it is in German.
K.   Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm GMT
Thanks, Jeremy. It seems I've heard that "my friend" as well in English.
How do they say "my friend"? It's only used for guys, then?
abc   Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 pm GMT
yes, in arabic countries some people do call each other brother and sister, but it isnt particularly common. it is used in a religious context quite often, for example referring to another muslim as brother in the mosque

its also very common to refer to someone old as uncle, as a mark of respect