What accent is this?

Guests   Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 am GMT
What accent is this, and how easy is it for you to understand it, on a scale from 1 to 10? (also say where you are from or if you are American or British at least)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHB9wW560lk
Uriel   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 am GMT
Some sort of British accent. I understand it fine (although I'm used to it being "SHAR-ee-ah", not "sha-RYE-a", but I really have no idea how it's actually pronounced in Arabic). I'm American.
Consensus   Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 am GMT
AJC   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 am GMT
Liverpool
Daveyboy   Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 am GMT
Liverpool, can't mistake that accent..
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am GMT
I agree - the guy speaking is a Scouser - from Liverpool or anywhere in the Merseyside area. He has the characteristic catarrahal tones of your average Scouse speaker, very throaty to say the least. It's unmistakeably Scousespeak.

No way could this man be from anywhere else but the Liverpool/Merseyside/Birkenhead/North Wirral area.

I mean to say, if you want definitive proof of this for the sake of comparison then why not listen to old voice recordings of any of the four Beatles, or if you can even bring yourself to do so, then listen to someone by the name of Cilla Black doing her stuff vocally. It's sure to give you a "lorra lorra laffs" if nothing else.

Most people seem to say "Sharr-EE- ya" over here though.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 am GMT
btw - the interviewer himself is obviously a Liverpudlian or at least a Merseysider, representing the local media, even though his Scouse accent is less pronounced, and it appears that the film was shot in Liverpool during some kind of anti Islamic demonstration judging by the large presence of the local rozzers or bizzies (that's Scousespeak for coppers, which in turn is Britspeak for police officers).