Best place in Latin America to study Spanish

cnalbisham   Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 pm GMT
You could try places that are Latin American in spirit, like Brownsville, Laredo, El Paso, etc.
Penetra   Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 am GMT
This repeated bleating about this or that place in Latin America not being "safe" gets boring very soon. Of course Bogotá is not as "safe" as, say, Zurich, but it's not Baghdad either. Considering it has a lot less angry young Muslims, it could be argued to be safer than London's or Madrid's subways.

If you're a gringo bent on learning Spanish, go to Mexico: it's close, it's got a lot of touristy spots and it's got the largest Spanish speaking population. Or go to Argentina: it's fun, it's charming, it's got the greatest steaks and some of the hottest chicks. Or pick and choose any country in between. Don't go to Spain though (especially if you're not white): there's no worse way to stand out in Latin America than to be a gringo with a Castillian accent.
Marie   Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:42 pm GMT
Costa Rica, lovely place and very good spanish and also very cheap
Pete from Peru   Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 am GMT
Colombia would be a good choice if you're not worried about getting your arse shot down by some "duro"...

Definitely don't come to Lima, Peru. That city is horrible and dangerous as hell. The devil himself won't dare to walk the streets in Lima alone. Especially from 6 o'clock in the evening and onwards. It is said that once, the devil was wandering round the streets until he was found by a pack of muggers. He woke up the next day, had lost his trident (It was already beign sold down a bridge nearby), had his horns chopped off, and couldn't walk very well because he had a pain in his arse.

Nah, just kiding. It may not be that safe, but still, it's not like walking round in the Bronx or some other shithole full of gangstas in America, so I think you should be OK in Bogota if you don't mess with anybody.

Hahaha

Just go to Mexico city. It's closer to America, and the Spanish spoken there is a sort of neutral Latin American Accent. Most Latin American countries have films dubbed into Mexican Spanish. BUT PLEASE PLEASE!! Don't copy those stupid things that "native" American speakers of spanish use; ugly and ridiculus calque of English phrases such as saying "So" instead of "y luego" or "y bueno" or "entonces" or even the excruciating:

"dar p'atras" = give back
"ir p'atras" = go back

It's bloody annoying ruining such a rich language with such stupid and monstrous constructions.

To Franco:

I knew you were Castillian. Why is it that you lot have this weird bias regarding Spanish dialects. Once I met a stupid lady saying that Castillian Spanish didn't have any Moorish influence. When I explained that almost a third of Spanish vocabulary wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Moorish influence and showed her some examples she came up with other original but nonsensical rubbish that I nearly bursted out laughing.

Anyway, I liked that lady's accent, Concha Velazco and not only the accent, but also the points she makes about our language. But still, when she commented on this "Vamos a jugar A HAblar bien"... That just sounded ridiculus.

She is the equivalent of an RP English speaker in England. Unfortunately this kind of accent is bound to disappear because of a very simple rule; New generations spawn new forms of speech which, although considered incorrect, then become the norm.

Franco, I found this video on youtube one day after reading your posts on a racist thread, and it reminded me of you. I hope you don't get mad, mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJgC9LEBTuQ&feature=fvhr

Kind regards
biased   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:03 am GMT
God damn, do native Spanish speakers really find the Castillian accent pleasant? I find that incredible. It just sounds so gravelly and the intonation reminds me of Valley Girl English. I find Mexican to be the best, and contrary to what most natives think, I also like Argentine. But meh, I'm biased.
Michelle O'Mamma   Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm GMT
Costa Rica.
AS   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 pm GMT
If you learn in the USA, is it difficult to get people to be friendly and talk to you in spanish speaking areas, i.e, Miami, East Harlem, etc? Why does one have to go to Mexico to learn Spanish when there are millions of hispanics in the USA?
Baldewin   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm GMT
To hit on Latinas, silly. Also, you'll understand the ones who gossip about you in your presence.
Franco   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm GMT
<<"dar p'atras" = give back
"ir p'atras" = go back
>>

These are not English calques. How do you say "ir para atras" in Spanish if not?
Franco   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:20 pm GMT
<<I knew you were Castillian. >>

I'm not.

<< Once I met a stupid lady saying that Castillian Spanish didn't have any Moorish influence. When I explained that almost a third of Spanish vocabulary wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Moorish influence and showed her some examples she came up with other original but nonsensical rubbish that I nearly bursted out laughing.>>

Take any news from a newspaper and count the number of Moorish words. They won't be one third in any case. Maybe 1-5%.

A<<nyway, I liked that lady's accent, Concha Velazco and not only the accent, but also the points she makes about our language. But still, when she commented on this "Vamos a jugar A HAblar bien"..
. That just sounded ridiculus. .>>

You are the only ridiculous south American subhuman here.
Steak 'n' Chips   Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm GMT
A friend of mine studied Spanish and lived with a local family in Quito, Ecuador. I went to visit him out there. They laughed at the Argentine sounds I had picked up from my own Spanish teacher, but not nastily, in fact they welcomed my faltering attempts at Spanish communication. The place felt pretty safe and friendly, and it has an amazing panorama of active volcanoes around it.

If you get fed up with Spanish, and your a masochist for hard languages, you can always catch a bus to some nearby village and try out some Qechua with the locals.

So if you want friendly people, a fairly neutral Spanish accent without sounds that are too "unique", and the permanent but small risk of death by lava, then how about Quito?
?   Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm GMT
If wanted to learn Spanish in the USA, what is best place to learn it in terms of real immersion and interaction?

Miami, Houston, LA, San Diego, NY?

How about PR?
dude   Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 pm GMT
Most of my American friends, when learning Spanish, seem much more interested in the Mexican and Latin American types than Castillian, which they consider "gay" and "effeminate" or pompous due to the lisp and a few other features. That, and they're just into the whole urban/hip hop culture so they feel more affinity to Latin America than Spain.
But personally, I have to say I like Castillian more overall. Even though it can be gravelly, I like the richness of it, for lack of a better word.
chico   Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 pm GMT
Guatemala is a popular place. There are several cities that a farely modern and offer good language programs. But Mexico is a good choice. The main thing is to avoid places where a lot of people speak English such as in Puerto Rico.

If people can understand your English and you are not forced to speak spainsh you won't learn as much.

chico
Franco   Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm GMT
<<Guatemala is a popular place. There are several cities that a farely modern and offer good language programs. But Mexico is a good choice. The main thing is to avoid places where a lot of people speak English such as in Puerto Rico.
>>

Guatemala or Ecuador may be good countries on paper, but appart from what you say one should ponder other factors like the chances of being kidnapped or being infected with a tropical disease which would dramatically interfere with the process of learning the Spanish language. So I would choose Puerto Rico despite there are people who speak English (not so many in reality):

Puerto Rico es una isla hispanohablante. Jurídicamente es bilingüe, en el sentido de que tanto el español como el inglés son idiomas oficiales, siendo el español el idioma vernáculo hablado por la totalidad de la población. El inglés se enseña como segunda lengua, aunque menos de un 3% de la población es totalmente bilingüe.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico#Idioma