Flapped or omitted 't' here?

Poss   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am GMT
1) I'm not able to do it--->I'm not ablla do it?
2) Tell people to do it--->Tell peoplla do it?
3) people should come together---> people should come dogether?
Wintereis   Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm GMT
All of these are flapped as far as I'm concerned.
kathy   Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 pm GMT
In the first one, I would not do the flapped t in the word to or it although I would not pronounce the word it so hard but that is just because I speak rather fast and would not stop to emphasize it. However, I do know people that would flap their t in the word 'to' but that is really very colloquial and I have seen it used in what people would call 'ghetto talk' although it may be seen in other regions as the norm. When I have heard the t flapped in 'to', the o part loses the oo sound and ends up sounding something like the u sun
Second one: First t in tell is not flapped, I already gave you my insight on to, and 'it' isn't flapped.
third: Personally, I would not flap together in this sentence since it would not flow nicely. I really am confused about what to tell you on this one because when I think about it, I HAVE flapped the t in this word before. One example would be, 'they're going to be together.' I really do think this one is a matter of everyday speech since you really can flap it and it is hard not to do so unless you are speaking at a slower rate. I guess my not flapping it is just a matter of personal taste. One kid in my class, would never really flap his t's and though his pronunciation was correct, a lot of students found it funny (he was a native speaker and American).
Poss   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm GMT
Wintereis, so how would you pronounce them?
Wintereis   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm GMT
If talking quickly, I would pronounce them like this:

I'm not able (duh or tuh) do it
Tell people (duh or tuh) do it
people should come (duh or tuh)gether
Pedro   Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:47 am GMT
Read the subsection "The case of to/today/tonight/tomorrow" at

http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/goldsmith/phono1/Flaps.html