U.S. should have Eng, Spanish, French as official language!

NYC   Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 am GMT
I think that the U.S. should have English, Spanish & French as official language. U.S. doesn't even have one single official language, although English is national language. Spanish is spoken by nearly 50 million, and many places have both English and Spanish signs. French is spoken by couple of million, but is one of the official languages of Louisiana, along with English, and is spoken as second language in most of New England and other parts of the U.S. Quebec, is north of us, and they speak French! French is second most foreign language in U.S., and was number one before Hispanics came to America.
All three languages are important in the nation, and I think all three should become official languages of the U.S.

Some countries, for example Switzerland, that is smaller than the smallest state of U.S., and smaller than Long Island, has FOUR (4) official languages! Canada has both French and English as official language.
/*-   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 am GMT
You ask for it the president Obama.
* * *   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 am GMT
"Spanish is spoken by nearly 50 million"

Immigrants. Enough said.

"French is spoken by couple of million"

Tiny minorities in Louisiana and Vermont.

"Some countries, for example Switzerland, that is smaller than the smallest state of U.S., and smaller than Long Island, has FOUR (4) official languages!"

Switzerland takes advantage that German and French are major languages. Italian has a mixed status because it's a local language in Tessin but also an immigrant language. It's rather frowned upon. And the fourth language (Rumantsch) is split between ununderstanble dialects, is virtually defunct and nobody seriously cares.
Red Echelon   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 am GMT
French isn't comparable with in Nort América and the rest of the World. Spanish is spoken by 60 million in USA+another 8 in schools,colleges,and universities.
Paul   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 am GMT
<<Spanish is spoken by nearly 50 million>>

No.

This is the most annoying claim that is frequently made about the united states, regarding the Spanish language.

There are 50 million people of "hispanic origin" in the U.S, meaning they have some ancestry in a spanish speaking country, but they're not all proficient in spanish; a great number of them are normal american anglophones (i.e Rosi Perez, Jennifer Lopez, etc). Furthermore there is no generational growth of spanish in the united states. Spanish is a typical immigrant language like all the rest.

<<Some countries, for example Switzerland, that is smaller than the smallest state of U.S., and smaller than Long Island, has FOUR (4) official languages! Canada has both French and English as official language. >>

In Switzerland and Canada, those languages are NATIVE; there's a huge difference.

Anyway, I think things should stay the way they are with NO official language. English will naturally prevail like it always has, and all others will fade away with each consecutive generation - like German and Italian did. If we start a precedent by making official laws mandating the use of english, the libs will eventually find a way to do the same with spanish and artificially keep it alive.
* * *   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:29 am GMT
"with in Nort América"

Here we have another beaner.
Thanx for playing.
Try again.
Guest333   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 am GMT
"with in Nort América"

<<Here we have another beaner>>

Here we have another sheriff eat-hamburgers.

You only know to shoot each other, to have the worse world studies on Earth (you don't know languages, and you hardly know where is Europe), to destroy a country every 10 years (the last one is Iraq) and to eat hamburgers all days.

It is true that he doesn't speak a perfect English. And your Spanish/French/German is perfect?

<<Spanish is a typical immigrant language like all the rest.>>

Are you Native American?

If you are an Anglo you are also an inmigrant, like the others. The difference is that the grandparents of your grandparents killed a lot of native Americans: girls, boys, children, women, etc. An authentic genocide.

PD. Jennifer Lopez speaks a perfect English and a perfect Spanish. She is clever because she can sell CDs to the Hispanic and Anglo market.
anon   Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 am GMT
<<PD. Jennifer Lopez speaks a perfect English and a perfect Spanish.>>

Lol. Jennifer Lopez is an anglophone that learned some Spanish as an adult.
Blue Tier   Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:11 am GMT
Spanish isn't comparable with in North Amerrica and the rest of the World. French is spoken by numerous American celebs while I never heard one of them speak Spanish.
Red Echelon   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm GMT
French isn't comparable with SPANISH in North América,i want to say, ¿O.K?. ¿And do you know what means "O.K.",little analphabetic?
upstater   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm GMT
<<and is spoken as second language in most of New England >>

Perhaps in the lightly-populated far northern areas, but I think you're a whole lot more likely to hear Spanish than French in southern New England, where most people live.
* * *   Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:24 pm GMT
"There are 50 million people of "hispanic origin" in the U.S"

They came because they wanted a better future for their children in a non-Spanish speaking environment.

We shall have respect for their desire.
Red Echelon   Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:45 pm GMT
¿Better future in English.....? JAJAJAJAJAJA........

Detroit,Cleveland,Pittsburg,....etc. speaks English at 95 % but his future is absolutely black.

Miami,las Vegas,San Diego,Houston,Los Ángeles,....etc. speaks more Spanish than English and his future is much more better than Detroit,Cleveland,...etc.

Spanish means prosperity, and English misery and hungry.
Red Echelon   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 pm GMT
¡¡¡ Oh my Good !!! Nobody of all you knows what means "O.K.". ¿Do you want i tell you from Madrid?, JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA.......
Wintereis   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:03 pm GMT
Wow, there is a lot of ignorant, xenophobic comments being hurled from both sides of the debate. My favortie has to be this one:

<<Here we have another sheriff eat-hamburgers.

You only know to shoot each other, to have the worse world studies on Earth (you don't know languages, and you hardly know where is Europe), to destroy a country every 10 years (the last one is Iraq) and to eat hamburgers all days.

It is true that he doesn't speak a perfect English. And your Spanish/French/German is perfect?

If you are an Anglo you are also an inmigrant, like the others. The difference is that the grandparents of your grandparents killed a lot of native Americans: girls, boys, children, women, etc. An authentic genocide.>>

Full of bad English ignorant assumptions. Perhaps you should go back to your "world studies" books and read up, because their are a few key points you seem to be missing.