Learning a Language without Learning One

Clark   Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am GMT
What ways are there to learn a language without actually speaking one? For example; one could learn Biblical Greek vocabulary to enhance reading the New Testament. Or one could learn Latin vocabulary/botany terms if one enjoys gardening/nature. any other suggestions along these lines?
belleza   Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 am GMT
Si estudias la estética podrías aprender el francés para entender mejor lo que es la fealdad.
K.   Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:39 pm GMT
I don't really like the idea of only learning a tiny bit of a language, but it's true that this is the actual goal of some people. They want to learn
"just enough" French or English or they just want to be able to read a language like Japanese or Italian.

How can they do this? It's easy-they buy a book called a "reader"-or probably in your case, Clark, a book with specific words for the Bible.
I don't know about Greek, but you can buy books like that for Hebrew.
There is something called a concordance and for people like you there is something called an interlinear (hope that's the right word) Bible with Greek, English, and Hebrew.

Some people just like to research their family history, so they go to a website that has specific vocabulary related to documents. Other people just want to read old family letters in another language. They can buy a dictionary and puzzle out the letter by looking everything up.

Learning another language isn't really something that should be done halfway, but I'm not a language cop.
blanc   Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 pm GMT
<<Learning another language isn't really something that should be done halfway, >>

Why not?
whynot   Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 pm GMT
<< Learning another language isn't really something that should be done halfway, >>

Yeah, why not? I don't really care about learning any languages. I just like to dabble in languages in my spare time. The alternative would be learning nothing. So what's wrong with dabbling in languages? I can at least read an article in French.
K.   Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 am GMT
I'm not stopping you.