Is English's large vocabulary detrimental

Quintus   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 am GMT
>>Speaking of subjective feelings about words, "emphasises" looks really silly to me, even more so than other Britishisms.>>

Why not read more Penguin Books ?- I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that will cure you.

"It was stated that while the novel and the play were both pleasing intellectual exercises, the novel was inferior to the play inasmuch as it lacked the outward accidents of illusion, frequently inducing the reader to be outwitted in a shabby fashion and caused to experience a real concern for the fortunes of illusory characters. The play was consumed in wholesome fashion by large masses in places of public resort; the novel was self-administered in private. The novel, in the hands of an unscrupulous writer, could be despotic. In reply to an inquiry, it was explained that a satisfactory novel should be a self-evident sham to which the reader could regulate at will the degree of his credulity. It was undemocratic to compel characters to be uniformly good or bad or poor or rich. Each should be allowed a private life, self-determination and a decent standard of living. This would make for self-respect, contentment and better service. It would be incorrect to say that it would lead to chaos. Characters should be interchangeable as between one book and another. The entire corpus of existing literature should be regarded as a limbo from which discerning authors could draw their characters as required, creating only when they failed to find a suitable existing puppet. The modern novel should be largely a work of reference. Most authors spend their time saying what has been said before—usually said much better. A wealth of references to existing works would acquaint the reader instantaneously with the nature of each character, would obviate tiresome explanations and would effectively preclude mountebanks, upstarts, thimbleriggers and persons of inferior education from an understanding of contemporary literature."

- At Swim-Two-Birds, Flann O'Brien

===
Cooper   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 am GMT
<Why not read more Penguin Books ?>

You wouldn't find "emphasises" in a Penguin UK edition. They use -ize endings.
Quintus   Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:31 am GMT
Well caught, Cooper ~ My mistake. I was trying to give "Another Guest" a source for becoming more accustomed to the "-ise" spelling ~ from a publishing house whose books would be readily available.

Failing that, the smaller presses then, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, that sort of thing.

In any case, it seems that "-ize" gets short shrift throughout much of Anglophony these days.
Poliglob   Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm GMT
Interesting topic. I agree that when the goal is basic communication, it's best to avoid difficult words that don't add anything important to the meaning. There's a legitimate place for them in the language, though. Their use isn't limited to pretentious persons who are trying to sound smart.

Playful persons use them too when they are mocking pretentiousness. (Of course, politeness requires that this should only be done with persons who are likely to understand them.)

For instance, here's an example with the word 'osculatory'. Imagine a guy flirting with a girl, and making the following statements, the second one being said with a self-satisfied smirk, and with the pretentiousness exaggerated so that the girl will know that he's kidding. (The last two words should be enunciated distinctly as if the speaker were enjoying each and every syllable.)

"Are you sure you don't want to kiss me? I'm renowned for my osculatory prowess."

In my opinion that's more amusing than "Are you sure you don't want to kiss me? I'm famous for my kissing skill."