What English sounds to Non English Speakers

Edward Teach   Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 am GMT
I dont think the average person gives a fuck about language families.
Vinlander   Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:55 pm GMT
Luisita Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 am GMT
I was about 20 before I heard about indoeuropean languages

LOL

Alright if your so well versed on the world, tell me what a harmonic minor is?, Most people have no idea even world famous musicians. Tell me the populations of Austrailia and indonesia. Tell the top four teams in the 2006 world cup in soccer, and who one the last stanly cup.

I could go on a long list of equally important information, most people don't know because it don't fall within their range of interest. The only reason languages families have ever been useful for me, is understanding why the chinese are so awful at english.
Li Po   Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:11 pm GMT
>who one the last stanly cup<

Hmm OK, but why are YOU so awful at English?
Vinlander   Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:19 pm GMT
Li Po Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:11 pm GMT
>who one the last stanly cup<

Hmm OK, but why are YOU so awful at English?

Only god no's must be imbred or sumtin
Damian in Queen Liz Land   Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm GMT
That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.......anyway, one bloke unwittingly hit the nail on the head when he told us that Tony Blair is an actor....about the only true response given in the entire bloody clip, and the Thespian Cheshire Cat is still strutting the stage big time.

Anyway, why should the Americans have any knowledge of the world outside their borders or even be aware of the very existence of any other country but their own? Is not their country fully self contained, like a mansion - isolated and secluded but with all the features of the rest of the world combined all wrapped up into a single unit? Surely there's no need for them to acknowledge the rest of us and to mistake North Korea for Australia and France for ambodia or wherever is of no real consequence in the grander scheme of things is it?

Now I must check my wallet and see how much of my Queen Elizabeth money I have left for a good night out tonight......someone ought to tell that ignoramus that it certainly won't be American money reclining there.
Damian in Queen Liz Land   Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:51 pm GMT
Cambodia
Armada   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 pm GMT
<<Anyway, why should the Americans have any knowledge of the world outside their borders >>

Because the Americans invade foreign countries. They should learn some notions about the countries they invade at least.

<<Is not their country fully self contained, like a mansion - isolated and secluded but with all the features of the rest of the world combined all wrapped up into a single unit?>>

Tell that to the Iraqui people who have to stand the "isolated" Americans in their soil.
Bob Dough   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:19 pm GMT
Armada You stupid foolish cunt stop trying to undermine the glorious American people! We know enough about the Iraqi savages to know that they needed a regime change...

The people of the world need to learn about America....America need not learn about them except for intelligence gathering. We are the world superpower honey bun, don't hate.
Vinlander   Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:01 pm GMT
please keep trivial politics out of it. There were very good reasons for going to iraq. They weren't the reasons stated by the president.

Europeans and Americans, have there own share of idiots. Americans are far more willing to fight, and Europeans won't go to war unless it's in their continent. We kinda need both to keep a balanced world so lets not sidetrack a thread over it.

no matter how advanced we think we are, were still just apes running around for trees and banana's. Lets not pretend were something that were not. Everyone thinks they knows best and far as I know no one has a clue.
Edward Teach   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
I seem to remember Europeans involved in the Iraq war.
Quintus   Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39 am GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVuNb5QoEc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edwina Highheels wrote :] Can not hear too good the Irish Gaelic spoken coz the blooming wind and Irish fiddle harking in the background.

Edwina, thanks for that video ~ very interesting.

The fellow who is talking over the fiddle music is speaking English, though heavily accented with a country brogue (which Dubliners don't have, being from the Hiberno-Norse colony of "Dyflin").

He is telling the Dutch reporter, "...Irish became a minority language in the mid nineteenth century..."
HarritexaMaatilinnen   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 am GMT
Basqueofinnish pawns Indoeuropeanistani !
map   Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm GMT
Most Americans aren't *that* stupid. But I doubt that most of them besides the ones that are interested in languages enough to visit and post to this forum, know that English is a Germanic language, and know that that means that English and German share a common ancestor.

And that map thing is totally unfair and confusing when you mislable some of the countries or continents. A fairer test would be to have someone point to their own state on the map, as long as it is clearly marked. Otherwise, how do you expect someone to know where some country they have never heard of is on the map?
Vinlander   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm GMT
map Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm GMT
Most Americans aren't *that* stupid. But I doubt that most of them besides the ones that are interested in languages enough to visit and post to this forum, know that English is a Germanic language, and know that that means that English and German share a common ancestor.

And that map thing is totally unfair and confusing when you mislable some of the countries or continents. A fairer test would be to have someone point to their own state on the map, as long as it is clearly marked. Otherwise, how do you expect someone to know where some country they have never heard of is on the map?

the simple answer is that America is self sufficient. Europe and the rest of the world are dependent on other countrys for almost everything when it comes to common culture. Just think of a sport like soccer which is dependent on foreign players, and foreign teams to play against. European music, products just about everything is dependent on another country.
American media, Entertainment sports rarely span outside the country and if it does it's only to Canada or mexico which is the same continent.
josh   Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:10 pm GMT
How many Europeans could label the African countries on a blank map?