english letter q

anti-kkk   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 pm GMT
<<Q without U looks odd in some words. For example look at "Iraq". Not good. I prefer Irak in this case>>

How about "Irac" or "Iracq"?
.   Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm GMT
<<I think the "Qu" format is quite attractive, probably because of this influence of another beautiful language. May it never be substitued by a "K" - that would make English look more Germanic - horridly foreign and alient - German is bursting with "Ks" all over its dictionary.>>

^This is the British delusion. Like sightings of the Loch Ness Monster, they see French in everything.

<Besides, who could possibly pay due homage to our gracious Kween Elizabeth II? How could my fellow Scot Andy Murray ever display his skill at the Kweens Club? And how on earth could any self respecting Brit kwench his thirst down the Kween's Head pub or the Kwill Pen and Parchment pub? All too, too foreign - banish it completely! As it will soon be General Election time in the UK let's all join the "Save the Qu Party". >>

As one stated, the English spelling would have been "cw" and probably not ever "kw" ("k" was only used before "e" and "i" for English spelling). It may have migrated to "cu" (cueen for queen, cuoth for quoth).
Qwakerswick   Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 pm GMT
"k" was only used before "e" and "i" for English spelling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong, 'K' goes before 'e', 'i', 'n' and 'y'

Rather than 'cu', 'qw' better follows 'cw' 'Qween Elizabeth II' and 'Qweens Club' work effortlessly. Better than 'Quween' and deffinately better than both 'Kween' and 'Cueen'

Queen + Qween = Quween, that kinda works too.
Aleksandr   Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm GMT
"Also K abounds in the German language, which is associated to virile values in contrast to the more bland Romance languages and in Russian , the language of the communists."

------

When you refer to Russian as the language of the Communists, do you mean that it's less appealing because "the Reds" used it? Either way, when transcribed, Russian is filled with K's--simply because the language itself has a very black-and-white distinction between "К" and "С"
(the former sounding like a "k", the latter, an "s").

I speak General American English, and I enjoy seeing "qu" much more than "cw" or "cu". (A noteable exception would be "queue" and "cue") To me, when I see "cw", I seem to read it with a slight phonetic difference, almost as if I'm emphasizing it. Of course, I don't favor French influence in all of my words (colour/color), but that's just from being raised and taught where I have.

As for the Iraq/Irak/etc. matter, I like Iraq. After all, it reminds me of Qatar, and I always read a lone "q" as a "k".

Also, as a quick note, "Kw", to me, is one of those silly letter combinations that one would use to name one's business and make it distinct. ("Kwik-e-Mart" anyone?)
.   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm GMT
<<Queen + Qween = Quween, that kinda works too. >>

I agree, "qw" is very nice, better than "cu" or "cw".

But "quw", that's just too many unnecessary bookstaves. Reminds me of old spellings for "wh"
#1   Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 am GMT
"K has a kind of strength Q lacks."

you know, it's weird, but i also always subconsciously thought k was stronger for some reason
Greenenlandscape   Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am GMT
Qwuck/Quck: even faster fuck then a quickie fuck!