RP in football players?

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am GMT
Professional footballers in the UK are grossly overpaid....many actually earn more money in a single week than a sizeable number of people earn in months of hard slog....they attain super star status with their gold-digging WAGS trailing along beside them.

The vast majority of them come from the lower orders of British society.....the famous GBU...Great British Underclass recruited mainly from the sink estates of this country.....the types seen on Jeremy Kyle's vile dross of a TV program each weekday here in the UK. Very few of them have any real academic ability.and some probably encounter problems signing their contracts with their respective cluibs after having the contents of the documents read out to them and explained in simple English.

I reckon it's pretty certain that many of these blokes would end up as prison fodder were it not for their skill in kicking a bag of air around a muddy football pitch and their ability to dribble and dodge around opposing players and this enabling them to smash the ball into the opposite net and then either stand and wait for all their team-mates to rush up to them and smother them in kisses and embraces which, should such a scenario take place anywhere else but on a football pitch, would either lay them open to verbal and physical abuse from other members of their social background witnessing such man to man passion, or land them in trouble with the local Constabulary on a charge of a breach of the peace and/or affronting public decency, or else we could see them run towards the pitch boundary, fall to their knees in ecclesiastical manner, arms outstretched to the heavens revelling in the wild cheering
of their supporters and genuinely believing that they are the New Messiah.

Rugby players are a different breed altogether....in so many ways, and many of them hold university degrees and have no need to have their contracts read out to them and interpreted to primary school level.
North of Dumfries-South o   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:59 pm GMT
The big eared blond Rugby lads i know are certainly not the brightest despite having academic qualifications, and although their breeding might be pedigree, it's clear they suffer from a lack of gene variation.
Rene   Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 pm GMT
Academic qualifications does not necessarily translate into intelligence. A person can have a hundred degrees and still be an idiot, incapable of making his/her way through the world. Likewise, a person who is completely illiterate may be very smart underneath it all.

I've always been academically inclined. I was a straight A student without making an effort. Then there's my uncle who barely passed by on D's and the occasional C. Guess what he can do? Write the building plans for bridges. I think we all know this requires doing trigonometry, but you'll never see an equation on his professional write-ups. Nope, he does it in his head. If you told him he's doing it, he'd flip out and say he's not capable. I could never even begin to write up a blue print for a structurally sounds bridge.

This is just one of the many things he's done for a living over the years. By passing through on good sense and talent, he makes almost 10 times the money I do with all my education. He makes twice as much as my other uncle who is a lawyer.

So, yes, perhaps the majority of British footballers struggled through or even dropped out of school. It doesn't mean they're stupid.
@Damian   Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm GMT
What interests me is that Damian was asked earlier:

<Do you think an intelligent person would jeer at the intellectual prowess of professional footballers, or deride them for their lack of academic qualifications? >

And he clearly replied

<No, of course not>

Yet in his last post, he just as clearly jeers at footballers and derides them for their lack of academic qualifications.
interpreter of facts   Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 am GMT
{{What interests me is that Damian was asked earlier:

<Do you think an intelligent person would jeer at the intellectual prowess of professional footballers, or deride them for their lack of academic qualifications? >

And he clearly replied

<No, of course not>

Yet in his last post, he just as clearly jeers at footballers and derides them for their lack of academic qualifications. }}

And I already demystified this apparent contradiction. An INTELLIGENT person would not jeer. Damian is NOT INTELLIGENT, so that statement does not apply to him.