Your favorite UK accent (pick 1 of these3)

@Damian   Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
< appeared in this live TV program >

It was a radio programme.

< a well spoken, professional man, as very much opposed to these two not so well spoken, often foul mouthed, lowlife, back-street, side alley London scumbags. >

What is the significance of their accents, or of the fact that they come from London?
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 am GMT
LOL!

Well Damian, I didn't know who that bloke was. I just liked his accent. And that labialised "R" is a feature of many dialects from the Southeast of England.

Does it really sound that silly? Silly enough by mocking it by saying Jonathan Woss?

I just view it as one of the ways the "R" sound can be pronounced in English. I also like the "R" sounds I've heard in Scottish accents. It's just cool.

Could anyone explain what makes that Geordie lady's accent so "warm" and "nice"? I still don't understand what features in her accent give you that impression. I'd like to know.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:02 am GMT
<<Silly enough by mocking it by saying Jonathan Woss? >>

I meant: Silly enough as to mock it by saying Jonathan Woss?
Uriel   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 am GMT
What, you didn't like my explanation, Pete? ;P

I didn't hear his R's as W's either until Damian suggested it and I went back and listened to it again. And even then I still thought of them as R's, even though I could see where they might sort of pass as W's.

Maybe because I'm expecting to hear an R in those words, I do, no matter how the R is really sounded. Even in nonrhotic accents, when I expect to hear an R I subconsciously "fill it in" for the speaker -- my brain just really, really wants to make up for that "deficiency", I guess. So when I hear "woohkah", I still mentally edit it into "worker". It doesn't work in reverse, though -- I can't edit out those linking R's that turn "China" into "Chiner". They still come through as jarring and out of place.
Damian London E14   Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm GMT
Yes, it was a wadio pwogwam and not TV - I was doing yet another Captain Mainwaring* thing hoping someone would spot my deliberate mistake which, as ever, someone did......anyone, it was obvious from the YT clip that it was indeed on wadio.

Much as I dislike Jonathan Ross and his programs and actually paying him any kind of attention in here I think it's worth looking closely at his lips as he utters any word containing a vocalised letter R......as in this clip. Notice how one of the guests says that Jonathan Ross doesn't own a Robin Reliant car because he can't say its name pwoperly.

Richard Hammond, of the Top Gear show, lives quite close to my grandparents down in Herefordshire.....or as Ross would say it - Heweefordshire.

God knows why Woss is dwessed the way he is.....maybe he thinks he's Batman - or Wobin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxNGds4HoZ8

The accents of Ross and Brand? Well, they are so clearly from East London and it shows, and while I no way decry them for coming from that part of London, or from any other part of London, or anyone else who does so for that matter, I weally don't think that either of these two geezers does any part of London any favours at all from the way they behave, certainly not in the Andrew Sachs affair.

However I am a Scot after all and that may well be the reason for any bias and prejudice I may show towards those two tossers.

I do however have some really good friends who are Londoners born and bred and none of them are like Messrs Ross and Brand in any shape or form.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm GMT
Haha I see now, I see...

If I keep watching more videos of this Ross guy, I'll come to hate him as well hahaha.

He behaved like a child that didn't want to lose in this video. I loved the way he got owned by the other chap criticising his weird outfit.

And I also noticed the way he said the name of the brand of the car he's got now. They sounded a lot like a "W" hehe.

Anyway. I still like the accent regardless of the person that speaks it. Although I wouldn't like to speak like this and be mocked at on a TV programme.
woss   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm GMT
I like his interaction with the guests but dislike the vulgarity.
@Damian   Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 pm GMT
<I weally don't think that either of these two geezers does any part of London any favours at all from the way they behave, certainly not in the Andrew Sachs affair. >

That's a remarkable statement. You think an incident on a radio show 18 months ago, which you publicised with a link, reflects badly on the entire population of London?
John   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm GMT
Like Geordie accent, they seem to be warm people too compared to the rest.
Damian yn yr Albaen   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 am GMT
Today is the First of March, which in Wales is the official National Day - St David's Day...or as the Welsh people call it - Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant.

Many Welsh people, especially those who are Welsh speakers, celebrate by holding "Eisteddfodiau" - an Eisteddfod being a Welsh festival of traditional song and poetry.

One of the oldest tradional Welsh tunes is, in the English language, "The Ash Grove", or as it is known in Welsh, in its original form - "Llwyn Onn" - a tune now familiar to millions of peope not only im Wales itself but throughout the world.

One of my very best mates from uni is Welsh and he comes from Anglesey, or Sir Fon as it is called in Welsh, although he is now living in England - in Salisbury. Paradoxically he is called Andrew - a Welsh guy with a Scottish name....to Andrew my message on Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant is this: "Pob hwyl i ti - iechyd da!" - or in English: "Have fun and good health!" - "Iechyd da! (W) "Good health!" (E) is the traditional form of toasting someone with a drink.

To show solidarity all round between a Scot and a Welshman with a Scottish name now living in England here is an English lass from that most English of English novelists - Jane Austen - Elizabeth Bennett (from "Pride and Prejudice") serenading the somewhat lugubrious character Mr Darcy with this very Welsh tune - "The Ash Grove" / "Llwyn Onn".

To everyone in Wales today - Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant hapus iawn a pob hwyl i chwi oll!"

Ym mhalas Llwyn Onn gynt
Fe drigai bendefig
Efe wydd the sgweiar
Ac arglywydd y wlad!..........

Or more simply for all our English mates - The Ash Grove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd99wZbCykI&feature=related
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:07 am GMT
And for balance here....."Llwyn Onn" sung in its original language - that of Wales itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJn5f9blFs
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm GMT
A Greek lady by the name of Nana Mouskouri singing “Ar Hyd y Nos” which in English is “All Through the Night”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr28JGnQHbY

I am reliably informed that this Greek lady’s pronunciation of the Welsh lyric was word perfect - she could teach the English how to do the same not that any of them could either get to grips with the correct pronunciation, or more significantly, even bother to try in the first place. If there is one thing which pisses me off massively is the way the English at large do not even try to pronounce either Welsh or Scottish place names even remotely correctly - indeed, many of them seem to think it amusing to mangle them up in their own stupid Sassenach way……much as I adore my English friends I am indulging in a bit of Sassenach bashing on this St David’s Day, in support of my Welsh brethren and fellow Celts:

These are the Welsh words sung by the Greek singer Nana Mouskouri:

Holl amrantau'r sêr ddywedant Ar hyd y nos Dyma'r ffordd i fro gogoniant Ar hyd y nos Golau arall yw tywyllwch I arddangos gwir prydferthwch Teulu'r nefoedd mewn tawelwch
Ar hyd y nos

One of the most irritating people I see on British TV is Anne Robinson, who hosts the "Weakest Link" show......she comes from Liverpool, which, after all, is only a stone's throw from Wales across the estuaries of the Dee and Mersey rivers and the intervening Wirral peninsula...in fact you can actually see the Welsh mountains on a clear day from any of the tall buildings in Liverpool city centre.

Yet Anne Robinson makes a point of ridiculing* Wales and Welsh people at every opportunity, and this was illustrated recently when she constantly failed to even remotely pronounce the name of one of the Welsh contestants correctly on a recent show.

The guy was called Geraint, a very common male name in Wales and anyone can learn to pronounce it correctly quite easily no matter from whence you come, but Robinson insisted on making a dog's dinner out of it, as did many of the English contestants appearing on that particular show.

The "g" is hard, as in "go" - so that's step No 1. The "r" is clearly enunciated, almost rolling, a feature of Welsh, and Scottish for that matter -in Welsh "r's" are never glided over as in English...step No 2.

Now for the "aint" bit - it is not prounced as the English "aint" - as in "paint" or "faint" - it is the same as the "int" in the English measurement "pint".

The stress in "Geraint" is on the first syllable, and NOT on the second, as stupidly, and indeed stubbornly, voiced by Robinson and those similarly silly English contestants appearing alongside this poor Welsh guy Geraint, who took it all in his stride, most probably because he was among English people in England, and like me he was aware how totally incompetent and indeed, quite often, totally disrespectful of any kind of foreign words and pronuncations many English people can be and quite often are.

So it's:

GERR-ine-t - with a hard "g".

God help any Sassenach ending up in Garndolbenmaen or Penrhyndeudraeth or Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, in Wales - or Glenquoich or Auchtermuchty or Lochgelly, up here in Bonnie Scotland.

;-)

*She may well do all the Welsh bashing thing a wee bit tongue in cheek tru enough, but it seems that slagging off anything Welsh is socially acceptable in a way that slagging off Muslims or black people simply is not, but who ever did say that PC was even handed anyway?
Quite Right Too   Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 pm GMT
< If there is one thing which pisses me off massively is the way the English at large do not even try to pronounce either Welsh or Scottish place names even remotely correctly >

It is good to have a sense of the really important things.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 pm GMT
I am totally devastated this evening following the sudden death of Kristian Digby, the TV presenter on property programs and others here in the UK ...I have met this guy on two occasions and he was the most delightful person of huge charm and personality and joie de vivre.

He was found dead by police in his East London flat early this morning, but the circumstances of his death have so far not been determined. He was 32 years old and will be very sadly missed by so many people here in the UK.

Unfortunately he recently split up with his boyfriend.

RIP Kristian. ;-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVQa-IfH_g
Yung   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 am GMT
<<Unfortunately he recently split up with his boyfriend. >>

Eeeww! That's gross!