I think I've embarrassed myself

Miles   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:22 am GMT
So I was at the meat counter in Whole Foods today, and I tell the guy "I want this piece of meat, uncut." He looked at me like I was some freak and handed me the meat. Did he actually think what I think he did? Is it really wrong to say "uncut" in this situation?
Uriel   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am GMT
Ah, the fountain of wit sputters again.....
Thatcher   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 am GMT
So he thought you were a freak, but still handed you the goods. Indeed, that's how it is even with the hardest man. Everyone wants uncut meat. Everyone.

<<"I want this piece of meat, uncut." Is it really wrong to say "uncut" in this situation? >>

Well, I don't know the situation or your level of medical expertise, but it seems a little odd to me. Why would you specify that you want it uncut, as though there were a choice to be made?
Edward Teach   Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:37 am GMT
Maybe you are just a freak.
Quintus   Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 am GMT
He looked at you funny ?- It might have simply been the fact that it was already a cut of meat -- and you came along and declared you wanted it uncut. Sort of like asking him to unring a bell.

"Untrimmed" might have been a less confusing choice for a word. You just wanted the bit of fat and gristle left on, I take it.
@Miles   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:57 am GMT
"Unsliced"?
Miles   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm GMT
Yeah, I forgot unsliced! I forgot to mention that the food in that section was prepared, and the last time I got the particular delicatessen, the guy sliced it.
HAHA   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm GMT
A man goes in to a butchers and says "give us a pound of salami please, the butcher says "sliced..? The man says piss off !!.. what do you think my ass is..? a money box?
Billy   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
I'd go with unsliced, if you don't want it sliced. Uncut meat LOL! What a picture!
TTDE   Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 pm GMT
Oh my dirty mind. Maybe the butcher had one too.