Euro state names etymology

gaul   Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:48 am GMT
Language, indigenous ethnicity, culture, topography wise etc, which European country has the LEAST connections/relevence/unity/ to the etymology of it's name and why and in what order?

Examples:

The name 'FRANCE' only represents a small historical ethnic elite not the gaulic French masses and their different ethnics, and French don't speak Frankish no more than Rhodesians (black or white) spoke 'Rhodesian' and never ever have done.

The name 'WALES' was gotten from the English word for foreigner.

'Russia' see 'France'

Counter-examples:

The name 'The Netherlands' relates well to it's topography and ethnic roots of it's population unlike France.

The name 'England' was named by the English (the majority of it's population) The name 'Britain' which was kind of adopted and re-invented by the English, historically relates well to pre-England.
Tovenaar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 am GMT
>>The name 'The Netherlands' relates well to it's topography and ethnic roots of it's population unlike France.

I disagree. The real name of that region should be Dutchland or, even better, Duitsland. :-)
Penetra   Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 am GMT
How about Germany which has a different name, related to a different people, depending on the language you pick?
$uck   Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:47 am GMT
Yes and no Penetra. There is Germany and Allemania, what others are there not based on the root Deutch. Do you know the names for Deutchland in Welsh, Icelandic, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Basque, Catalan, Greek, Turkish, Finnish and Serbian?

In English, should of been Netherdutchland and Netherdutch for Holland. And the 'plains and mountain Dutch' for the Dutch/Deutsch from Dutchland Magna. Or how about Great Britain - Brittany type thingy - , Deutchlandanny for the Netherlands and Gross Deutchland for Deutchland.
PARISIEN   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:30 pm GMT
'Polska', 'Poland', 'Pologne' ("The Country of the Plains") is also a topographic naming not unlike the Netherlands.

<< the English (the majority of it's population) >>

-- Are you that sure? Just compare Anglia to England!
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm GMT
There's still a taboo for calling the Czech Republic, Czechia. This is because it's a pars pro toto name and it ignores the regions of Moravia and Czech Silesia.
This taboo also exists in calling the Netherlands Holland, even though many Dutchman still call it as such abroad. Not all Dutchmen are Hollanders.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:41 pm GMT
This brings me to another taboo. Scotsmen, Welshmen and Irish don't like to be called British, even though they ARE British. This name has become a totum pro parte for England.
Also Catalans, Andaluzians, Gallicians and Basques don't like to be called Spanish, as totum pro parte for Castillia. But heck, with that logic you can call Portuguese Spanish as well for it's a synonym for Iberia. Borders drawn by the Romans don't mean that much in the end.
Franco   Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:01 pm GMT
<< Also Catalans, Andaluzians, Gallicians and Basques don't like to be called Spanish, as totum pro parte for Castillia.

>>
Andalusians don't like to be called Spanish? That's news to me.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm GMT
They're proud of their dialect (as in: aren't Castillian), but feel Spanish. Is that more correct? Also Gallicians aren't separatists. So both Castillians as Andalusians like to call themselves Spanish and that word is used as totum pro parte for Castillia/Andalusia?
Franco   Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:48 pm GMT
In Andalusia there are several dialects, not only one, but educated people tend to use them only in familiar circles, so I don't think they are specially proud . Otherwise they would use their dialect under any circumstance.
I would say that Andalusians are more ashamed of not speaking "proper Spanish" than anything because I've met quite a few Andalusian students who try to hide their accent, maybe because some traits like "ceceo" are considered ridiculous in the rest of Spain.

Journalists in Canal Sur (the TV propaganda broadcast channel of the Andalusian autonomous government) use standard European Spanish. In some other programms accented voices can be heard but for more serious things like telling news they stick to standard Spanish.
Penetra   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 am GMT
<< There is Germany and Allemania, what others are there not based on the root Deutch >>

I don't think Niemcy stems from either of those roots.
PARISIEN   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 am GMT
"Niemcy" means "the ones whose language you can't understand". All Slavic languages have similar words for Germany.

French "Allemagne" has been transmitted to Occitan, Catalan, Spanish etc. as well as to Breton and Welsh. Actually it refers to only one Germanic stem that includes Alsacians.

Similarly, in Finnish Germany is called "Saksa".
Wanstrow   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm GMT
<<<<

French "Allemagne" has been transmitted to Occitan, Catalan, Spanish etc. as well as to Breton and Welsh. Actually it refers to only one Germanic stem that includes Alsacians.

Similarly, in Finnish Germany is called "Saksa".

>>>>

Your wrong, the Breton and Welsh names for England are (like in all Celtic languages) based on the root word 'Saxon'

Scots - Sasainn (Saxonland?)

Irish - Sasana (Saxonia?)

Manx - ?

Cornish - Pow Sow (Pow=Pays=Land? so land of the Saxons?)

Breton - Bro Saoz

Welsh - Lloegr (this is a modern nationalistic re-translation to replace the older Welsh name for England based on the root word element 'Saxon' Sasainn/Sassana/Sow/Saoz

Finnish - the word for England is 'Englanti Saksa'
Thor   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm GMT
If you begin to seek the regions who have a wrong name compared to the language or the "tribes", you won't finish, because in ancient times, the masters of the land didn't care of the language of their subjects. I don't ever talk about the sense shifts : France, Schwaben, Lombardy, Burgundy, Saxony, ex-Prussia, Galicia, Normandy, Hungary and others...
Baldewin   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 pm GMT
In (Upper) Sorbian Germany is called 'bavory', after Bavaria.