Language trend predictions.

Akbar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:34 pm GMT
Let's predict how the global language trend is going to be.

I'll begin:

- English will become more popular until it reaches a peak, and most of the threatened languages will become extinct.
- English monopoly of the internet and science will reduce to a slight extent.
- English will replace all other foreign languages in India. French, which is still studied by some students, has no more place.
**   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 pm GMT
¿Esto se te ha ocurrido a ti solito?
Akbar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 pm GMT
Afraid I don't do Spanish.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 pm GMT
We will encounter a population of highly intelligent aliens and their language will take over the role of English.
Akbar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:18 pm GMT
¿Esto se te ha ocurrido a ti solito?

Claro.
Akbar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm GMT
Ha ha, I know Spanish now. Jokes aside, this site should make registration necessary. :|
**   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm GMT
Baldewin I think this is going to be our future before we encounter any aliens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAnvpy76JQ
K.   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:33 pm GMT
They have registration at the new "Ask Antimoon" site.

About the question: I think English will drift into international textspeak.
Ever seen the posts at Omegle?

It's a mix of acronyms, African-American slang, and texting.
Akbar   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm GMT
WTF R U talking about?
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 pm GMT
**, it's sadly blocked in Belgium. Maybe send me a dailymotion link?
K.   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:56 pm GMT
Omegle is blocked in Belgium? I've chatted with at least two Belgians on Omegle.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm GMT
<<Deze video bevat inhoud van Sony Music Entertainment. Het is niet langer in uw land beschikbaar. >>

This is what I read.
Nostra Damus   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 pm GMT
Well, I give my two cents.

If there are good translation machines, and it is likely to be a lot, people won't study languages.

The languages will only be studied in some bilingual states like Belgium, but not many.

So, the most important languages will be the languages spoken as mother tongue: Chinese, Spanish, English, Hindi and Arabic.

So, English will be only one of the top 5 languages, and this language will reduce a lot the monopoly on Internet because second language students will decrease dramatically in English (and all other languages).
Michel   Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:01 pm GMT
Well, I give my 10 cents.

If there are good translation machines, and it is likely to be a lot, people won't study languages.

The languages will only be studied in some bilingual states like Belgium, but not many.

So, the most important languages will be the languages spoken as with the most non-native speakers: English, French, Russian, Arabic, and Portuguese.