Are Chinese relucatant to speak it to foreigners?

Trummor   Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm GMT
My Mandarin isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but ultimately its probably no worse and no less extensive than many Chinese peoples knowledge of English. However, on a visit to Beijing, very few people would actually speak to me Mandarin, even though they seemingly understand what I'd asked them.

For example, asking directions, if I asked a person under 35 where someone was in Mandarin, usually the reply would come in very broken English. I went to the China Aviation Museum, which turned out to be closed, and I asked if it was open in Mandarin and the military official there just replied to me in once again poor English.

This one really annoyed me, I went into Beijing Railway Station, had been queing up for quite a while, got to the counter and phrased in Mandarin I want to buy a ticket to Beidaihe, instead of carrying out my request, she just wrote Beidaihe down in Chinese, handed it to me and pointed to the English counter. She clearly understand what I said, but for some reason didn't want to speak Mandarin to me.

Despite this I had a few successes, but mainly it was only older people who were prepared to address in in Mandarin, mainly because they probably don't know a word of English. But anyone who knew the slightest bit of English didn't seem intereted in speaking Mandarin to me.

Is the assumption that a white wouldn't be able to speak Mandarin a pretty typical assumption in China? Was my Mandarin just shocking beyond acceptable levels or do Chinese just want to practice English at any available opportunity?

Cheers
Qrious   Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 pm GMT
Where are you from?
How good is your Mandarin?
Bj   Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm GMT
It is the same with the Dutch, you can learn their language but as soon as they know you are not native they will just switch back to English.

Really annoying or maybe they just hate their language?
fraz   Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm GMT
<<It is the same with the Dutch, you can learn their language but as soon as they know you are not native they will just switch back to English. >>

I can understand the Chinese being keen to practise English but there should be no such compulsion on the part of the Dutch as the vast majority of them speak it proficiently already.

Why are they not supportive of people making the effort to learn their language and speak it with them in their own country? We welcome their English abilities, but it should work both ways.
sf   Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 pm GMT
I think the lesson here is to just don't give in to their insular behavior or language superiority compex. If they think you are too stupid to learn their language, just find someone else to talk to. Just don't speak in English ever, don't be shy, don't care what they think, and continue to speak Mandarin. Don't let yourself be bullied by what is essentially matcho behavior in disguise.
Trick them   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm GMT
Just pretend you don't speak English. That is the best way. I am a bilingual by birth so I can mask my English accent with my Spanish accent when speaking a third language. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to mask one's native accent even if you don't speak a second language.
Trick them   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm GMT
Or, if you can't do that, you could trick them into thinking that you can't understand their English, or that their English is incomprehensible.

When they switch to English, at first pretend like you're happy and grateful. But then keep asking them to repeat, and shake your head like you can't understand what they're saying, as if their accent were atrocious. Also, reply to them in fast slurred speech full of slang and accentuating any regional accent (or if you don't have one, just put on a thick Scottish accent, a non-native won't know its fake). This will confuse them and disconcert them. Eventually, they will feel embarrassed or frustrated and will be more willing to speak their language.
PIGS -- PORTUGAL, ITALY,   Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 am GMT
Ugh, why are they so protective of their language. Don't they want outsiders to learn? Really, I hate this kind of attitude especially if one's mandarin is equal or better than the interlocuteur.
Chinese   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:15 am GMT
Frankly, we Chinese don't expect that the FUCKING PIGS from Europe are capable of learning such a difficult Eastern language as Chinese.

F=France
U=United Kingdom
C=Czech Republic
K=Kazakhstan
I=Iceland
N=Netherland
G=Germany

P=Portual
I=Italy
G=Greece
S=Spain
ANTIMOON   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 am GMT
Kazakhstan is not in Europe you dumb shit!
Franco   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:20 am GMT
De hecho los kazajos tienen aspecto mongoloide.
Chinese   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 am GMT
[De hecho los kazajos tienen aspecto mongoloide.]

Really? These are Kazakhstan people:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/boratc.jpg
no   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 am GMT
lol the guy who played borat has nothing to do with kazakhstan and doesn't even look like the people actually do
facts   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:45 am GMT
There is a diference between Kazakhstanis and Kazakhs. Kazakhs are ethnic Turkic people who look Asian. Kazakhstani is a citizen of Kazakhstan, it can be any ethnicity, including about 4 million ethnic Russians.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 am GMT
>>[De hecho los kazajos tienen aspecto mongoloide.]

Really? These are Kazakhstan people:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/boratc.jpg<<

LOL

Yeah man, there are all kinds of people everywhere. To a greater or lesser extent of course.