French, Latin and Italian

South Korean   Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:15 am GMT
I am recently learning some Latin. I already speak French. Since Italian is the language most similar to Latin and French is the most similar living language to Italian, after learning enough Latin, would learning Italian be a snap for me?
Paul   Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:30 am GMT
None of the romance languages really have anything to do with Latin.
Ilona   Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:15 pm GMT
Italian isn't the closest to Latin. Italian and Latin are quite different, believe me. French and Italian share 89% of their vocabulary and grammar and syntax seem very similar between these two languages. Pronunciation is a bit different. I can undersand easily written French and Italian, while Latin seems very strange to me.
rep   Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:05 pm GMT
Italian and Latin is like Norwegian Nynorsk and Old Norse. French and Latin is like English and Old Norse.
Franco   Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 pm GMT
<<I am recently learning some Latin. I already speak French. Since Italian is the language most similar to Latin and French is the most similar living language to Italian, after learning enough Latin, would learning Italian be a snap for me?
>>

That is what I call a fallacy.
curious   Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm GMT
post a recording of you speaking French. I'm curious to know what you mean by "I speak French". jew muh-pell luh eiffel tower?
Bastard...   Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 am GMT
Sliy-eyes can't speak European languages end of story. You may think you can speak French, but whether you can render anything vaguely understandable is another story.
La Hostia   Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 am GMT
Italian is the closest to Church Latin - pronunciation-wise. Italian and Latin share many wordage. Also, Italian has stayed the most consistent to Latin regarding its evolution. French (written form) looks a lot like Latin, however, enunciation-wise it differs suffice. Latin is a written tongue than a spoken tongue, even under the Roman Empire the way we recognize Latin nowadays wasn't consistent to the native-speakers. It was a decentralized language among the masses. Words we think were used were probably not used among the plebeians.