Polish and Russian

John   Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:44 pm GMT
I plan to learn both languages eventually, but would it be wise to take both at the same time? Or would it be better to study one, and then the other? If so, which would be the better choice to start off with? I am a beginner at both and I do not have any knowledge of any of the other Slavic languages.
a demotivator   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:17 pm GMT
I plan to win the lottery six times and marry Britney Spears. Should I do them both at the same time? Or would it be better to do one, and then the others? If so, which would be the better choice to start off with? I've never don either before and don't have any knowledge of how to do it.
Mark   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm GMT
I plan to marry Yulia Tymoshenko. I'll be rich and happy at the same time. But i don't speak her language. Should I learn Ukrainian or Russian, since Ukraine has a pro Russian president now and Russian is likely to become the official language of all Ukraine?
Jimmy   Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 am GMT
John,
Sorry that some people write unhelpful, nonsensical replies. My advice would be to take on one at a time. These are equally difficult languages, I would say, with quite complex grammars (compared to English). Polish, of course, uses the Latin alphabet (which would make things slightly easier); Russian uses Cyrillic – but it is not difficult to pick up and master. Good luck with them.
Skippy   Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 am GMT
I agree with Jimmy. It's typically a better idea to do one at a time. I'm sure there is some effective way to learn two languages at once in a comparative way, but I have never known anyone who has been able to do it.

The question should be which one to learn first :-) And it really just depends on why you're learning.

Sorry, I know that's not much help.
a demotivator   Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 am GMT
Study one so that later when you decide you can't be bothered learning the other one (you WILL decide this if you're serious about being FLUENT) you have actually got a reasonable basis (at least a chance of success) in one rather than a smattering of both (absolutely useless).

Obviously, Russian would be way easier with regards to resources. As for difficulty, for all practical purposes they're exactly the same. If you're capable of learning one, then you're capable of learning the other. If you fail the first one, don't bother trying the second instead to see if it's easier. It isn't.
Carpenter Fred   Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm GMT
Better learn Kashubian - > the closest language to Polish, but more interesting in terms of phonology -> they seem to have English "schwa", French closed 'e' and 'o', 'w' sounds like in English, sz, cz - are soft and exactly like English sh, ch, not much soft / palatalized consonants, letter 'u" sounds like Californian fronted ''oo", plus 2 nasal vowels close to French ones
Thor   Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm GMT
Slavic languages are very difficult for those who don't like hard grammatical rules like german : even the proper names are declined.
Carpenter Fred   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:23 am GMT
You're right, but I as a Slav, also hate declination with all that stupid, needless suffixes - it's just an ancient thing that doesn't fit to XXI century languages... By the way I never make grammar mistakes in Polish...