How to pronounce the du sound in during, residual

Clari   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 am GMT
I have trouble pronouncing the words like during, durable, residual. According to the dictionary, the "d" shall be pronounced as /dj /, but how to do it? I have no idea of the j sound. Can anyone give me some hints? Thanks in advance!
@Clari   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 am GMT
Say "do you" very quickly, and you will get an idea of the dj sound.
Lechat   Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm GMT
Clari, what languages do you speak?
bob   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm GMT
I pronounce during and durable as if they were spelled jurring and jurrable. /'d͜ʒ ə˞ ɻ ɪ̃ ŋ/ and /'d͜ʒ ə˞ ɻ ə b ɫ/
standard American English.
Another Guest   Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 pm GMT
I really can't tell any difference between how "d" is pronounced in "do" and "during". I wouldn't consider "jurring" to be standard English.
Uriel   Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:19 am GMT
Easy -- re-zih-ju-al. Just like individual: in-dih-vih-ju-al

A "dy-" sound often becomes "j-", just as "ty-" often becomes "ch-"
Kelly   Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am GMT
D sound as in DUDE not J as in JUNE.
Gabriel   Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 pm GMT
Also, "during" can be pronounced /ˈdʊɹɪŋ/ or /ˈdɜ˞ɪŋ/ in American English.
Leasnam   Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm GMT
during = d
durable = d
residual = dj

The rule is "if it's too difficult to pronounce dj, and switching to d doesn't cause ambiguity with another word, then it is alright to say d"

That's the rule.

same goes for t in Tuesday, etc; eu/ew as in 'new'
gabriel   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 am GMT
<The rule is "if it's too difficult to pronounce dj, and switching to d doesn't cause ambiguity with another word, then it is alright to say d" >

did you pull this "rule" out of a bodily orifice?
Leasnam   Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm GMT
<<did you pull this "rule" out of a bodily orifice? >>

Only if you have an earnest disagreement with the content of the rjule.

But you know it's trjue.

Who really goes around saying "njew", "djew", "endjure", unless inwitteouly trying to be forthwrittivist? Funny the leed who purport these types of outspeakings don't adhere to them themselves in normal speech.

And anent the "Who really goes around saying" with all my weird words,,,you may fire when ready.
Mason   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 am GMT
[njew] can be heard occasionally in Californian speech due to [u] fronting which makes an [i]-sound-like byproduct.
Trang   Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 am GMT
@Leasnam: You're dead wrong. I've lived in Australia for 3 years and I noticed that people often pronounce "du" sounds as j or dj.
Asshole   Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 am GMT
He is talking about Americans you idiot.
Leasnam   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:47 pm GMT
<<@Leasnam: You're dead wrong. I've lived in Australia for 3 years and I noticed that people often pronounce "du" sounds as j or dj. >>

Well, Trang, I do not disagree with your statement. In any given place you will have a mixed proportion of du and dju. I never meant that dju was ever wrong. It's just that is someone has difficulty in pronouncing it they shouldn't fret, du will do just fine in its stead in the majority of cases.