What is the accent of this speaker?

Trang   Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 am GMT
I'm referring to the newsreader.
Trang   Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am GMT
Steak 'n' Chips   Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 pm GMT
It sounds to me, from some of the vowels (the rounder U in up and coming", the twangier I in "time"), like the presenter originally had a mild northern English accent before adopting an RP accent.

There's only traces of northern vowels so I might be wrong. Perhaps she lived in the north for a time, perhaps she has northern friends, or perhaps she modified her accent for television; I don't know.

My partner is from Manchester and her U is strongly different from mine. We were always confusing the kids when spelling using simple phonemes. She says my U sounds like A (a cAp of milk). I say her U sounds like OO, though it's shorter really (A cOOp of milk). I was very pleased to move on to standard alphabet sounds (you, vee, double-you etc).

Anyway, sorry, enough self-indulgence. RP with slight northern vowel tones, I'd suggest.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:23 am GMT
This female presenter was doing her stuff in Leicester Square, in London's West End, the scene of many film premieres....she's standing outside one of the huge cinema complexes in Leicester Square, I forget its name.

I would agree that there are shades of Northern English in her accent, her vowels sounding quite flat at times - she is most certainly not from London or anywhere in the Home Counties, ir the counties surrounding and in close proximity to London.

She may well come from the Midlands region though, but in spite of her general RP tones she can't quite disguise her origins as being somewhere north of the River Trent...say, from north and north west of a line stretching from Derby through Nottingham to Lincoln.