1997 Spanish

Kremlin   Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 am GMT
What is the most common way to read 1997 in Spanish?

Mil novecientos noventa y siete
Mil nueve noventa y siete
diecinueve noventa y siete (??)

Something else? Does it depend on country?
Franco   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:14 am GMT
The only possible way is Mil novecientos noventa y siete. The other two ones don't exist in Spanish.
Yo   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 am GMT
Tu   Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:46 pm GMT
meus   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:00 pm GMT
Mil nuevecientos nuevienta y siete.
Franco   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm GMT
Calla favelero.
chauvinst   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:09 pm GMT
Dix-neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-sept.
Dix-neuf cent nonante-sept doesn't exist (vulgar form) nor does mille neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-sept exist.
Cascarrabias   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:09 pm GMT
Franco, con alias : insultador oficial del reino.
Pickelhaube   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 pm GMT
Neunzehnhundert Siebenundneunzig wäre richtig in diesem Fall.
Ripp   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:27 pm GMT
Mil novecentos noventa e sete.
**   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm GMT
cagÜen todo lo que se menea, es Mil Novecientos Noventa y Siete y PUNTO.
She-male   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:47 pm GMT
One thousand and novecientos sept undneunzig is better.
Baldewin   Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:44 pm GMT
As a neutral observer I find the following variant superiour: mil novecientos noventa y siete. All the rest are just plebescitary expressions you would want to avoid.
I am willing to accept an unstressed diphthong in derivational words, but I prefer an 'o' there (the 'o' is more elegant in long words on unstressed syllables, you don't want to mess with the rhythm of the language). What IS a big NO, however - in my book at least - is the violation of the very basic y/e rule. You mustn't use an 'e' instead of an 'y' in front of a consonant unless you'd want to sound like some sort of illiterate. You only use 'e' in front of an /i/ sound and before nothing else.

Learn your language! And yes, the written Spanish standard IS superior to your spoken dialect.
Ripp   Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 pm GMT
<<What IS a big NO, however - in my book at least - is the violation of the very basic y/e rule. You mustn't use an 'e' instead of an 'y' in front of a consonant unless you'd want to sound like some sort of illiterate. You only use 'e' in front of an /i/ sound and before nothing else. >>
"Mil novecentos e noventa e sete."-don't worry Baldewin,it is Portuguese,not Spanish.
Kremlin   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 pm GMT
The reason I asked is because I heard this recording. Here is an example of someone saying "mil nueve noventa y siete". How do you explain it? Is it only some Rioplatense variant, or is she simply trying to save time because she repeats it many times?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Es-Cometa_Hale-Bopp_1-article.ogg