Opposite Affirmation

Mecanik   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 am GMT
Hi,

Is there an English word that is used to affirm a negative sentence?

In other words, picture this scenario:

If a person, let's call him John, thought that his friend, Max, will not show up to a party, and he (i.e. John) was mentioning this fact to another friend who knew for a fact that Max will indeed show up.
Is there one word that she can say, which will indicate to John that Max is in fact coming to the party?

So, my question is: is there a word used to affirm negative sentences?

If John says: Max is not coming to the party today.

What can I say to John to inform him that he's wrong - that Max will be coming to the party, in one word?

For example, in French, the word I'm looking for here would be (si)

Note: Anything other than (yes) or (no)
blanck   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:38 am GMT
Max is not coming to the party today.

No, he is.
You're wrong.
He is coming.
Wrong.
To the contrary.
The opposite is true.
You've got it wrong.
That's not so.
It ain't so.
Nah, you're dreaming.
Yeah nah.
That's a load of shit.
The hell he ain't.
Fuck that, he's coming.
What're you on.
My ass!
Yeah, and I'm Mickey Mouse.
You lie.
Stop shitting me.
Nah bro, you're full of shit.
Whatever dude.
Mecanik   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:45 am GMT
But there is no ONE word that does the job...

I mean, if you say "wrong", then you're just negating the sentence but you're not letting John know that Max is in fact coming.

I'm looking for a word that simultaneously negates and explains that the opposite will take place.
Another Guest   Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 am GMT
But negating the sentence means that Max is in fact coming.

But yes, there isn't anything in English that means the exact same thing as French's "si". Just as in French, there is not the distinction between "no", "non", and "not" that exists in English.
Steak 'n' Chips   Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm GMT
If you said "Actually..." and went off to get a sausage on a stick, they'd get the meaning. Some people might say "Au contraire!" in that situation (English speaking), but I wouldn't. It's true there's no single word direct translation in English for the French word "si". In that situation, French wins on conciseness hands down!
Eddy   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am GMT
antithesis
converse
bunkum
balderdash
poopycock
malarkey

<< I mean, if you say "wrong", then you're just negating the sentence but you're not letting John know that Max is in fact coming. >>

<< It's true there's no single word direct translation in English for the French word "si". In that situation, French wins on conciseness hands down! >>

A very strong challenge can be mounted against these statements.