Portuñol

BrasileiroDaGema   Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 pm GMT
"It is impossible for a Portuguese speaker to learn proper Spanish, hence if all Brazilians learn Spanish, that means they will end up speaking Portuñol. "

-90% of brazilians lives on coast
-brazils most populated regions(northeast and southeast) dont make frontier with hispanic countries
-only brazil's 3rd region make frontier with argentina,uruguay and uruguay,and have half of population of northeast and 1/3 of southeast
-in brazil,those who lives far from coast are normally poor and illiterate(few exceptions são paulo, brasilia...)
-portugal receives 3 million spaniards(not added up south americans) through tourism, brazils total(all countries) is 5 millions
-portugal is narrow,furthest point of portugal is not very far from spain
-portugal belongs to eu so spaniards can enter in potugal
-portugal's education owns brazilian education,portugal population is 20 times less and have more international prizes,in nobel and international universities
-12 million people are learning spanish.sure? because only 42 thousands are learning in public schools in são paulo(11 million people,most important south american city)
-portugal is way more capitalist and globalized than brazil,portuguese people knows everything about the world,most people on brazils north-northeast-center cant even find his own country or state in a map
-despite portugal accents be "less close than spanish",eur. portuguese have some features like trilled r's,is less nasal and have less closed vowels(^)
-portugal cousin always was spain,nevertheless,spaniards can understand few eur.portuguese.i dont think spaniards can ear one word of "wild" brz. portuguese,like that spoke far from south
-uruguayan and argentinean accents are the closest to brazilian in spanish world,its said that uruguayan vowels features nasalization in some areas(uruguay already was one brazilian state)

-brazilian Main export/import partners(argentina 8,9%,argentina 7,7%)
-portuguese Main export/import partners(spain 25,6%,spain 28,9%),more than 1/4 thats a big one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Brazil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Portugal
BrasileiroDaGema   Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:33 pm GMT
"Spanish is compulsory in brazil"

Bwawawawawwa.
I never saw a school where spanish is compulsory.
This reminds me of one law that we had here in brazil.
In this law,if you entered in one bank,you should have been ordered in 15 minutes.
Ask a Brazilian what happened to this law.
Franco   Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:42 pm GMT
We all know that Brazil is such a poor country that they can't pay the Spanish teachers to make the law effective. But as long as the country prospers, if does, Spanish will become progressively compulsory in accordance to the law.
JJ   Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:45 am GMT
A beautiful Portuguese speaking country.... Mozambique!

This country is situated right next to South Africa, was Portuguese until 1974 when the white Portuguese people got chased out of the country as most African countries do.

After the whites left the country went down the drain as usual but today investors are coming back to invest into Mozambique. Especially South Africans are now investing in this country.

The capital used to be called Laurenco Marques, today it's called Maputo. Portuguese is still the main official language of this country. It used to be very nice country during Portuguese colonial rule, hopefully they can rebuilt it to it's former glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiheHNbUpmA
lolling Joao   Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:07 pm GMT
«A mix between spanish and brazilian portuguese. They are used at border counties.

I think it has no future the same as spanglish.»

It's a mix between Spanish and Portuguese, not only Brazilian. The term was coined in Portugal as a joke. "I can make myself understood by them in Portunhol".
Basically it's faulty Spanish spoken by Portuguese or Brazilians when we have never had classes of Spanish.

There's no need to learn proper Spanish if the use is only to give spoken basic informations to Spanish speakers or to order basic things when travelling to a Spanish speaking country.

I think the term is not used in Spanish speaking countries.
Baldewin   Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm GMT
<<No, Spanish is too simple phonetically in comparison to Portuguese, so a Spanish speaker will never be fluent in Portuguese whereas Portuguese speakers can learn good Spanish in few months.>>

Even in Portugal itself, Portuguese often switch to Spanish when meeting a Hispanophone.
rep   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 am GMT
Portuñol isn't only mix of closely related languages. Another is Svorsk-mix of Swedish and Norwegian languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svorsk
x   Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 pm GMT
This is the future
y   Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm GMT
This is not the future.
Latin was divided in many languages and was under only one empire. Take italy as example,a rich country,with many dialects.

Hung be those who speak portuñol.
z   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:48 pm GMT
Yay to y. Hang them all
Paul   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:09 am GMT
Portuguese students:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FqlU0IMbSM

^^ notice how the Ukrainian girl seems to have a much easier time imitating the sounds of portuguese and sounds very natural, while the the venezuelan girl just sounds like shes speaking spanish.
Penetra   Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:42 am GMT
<< Hung be those who speak portuñol. >>

I speak Portuñol, and I'm pretty hung, so there!
Ren   Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 pm GMT
hahhahahaah
lolling Joao   Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:25 pm GMT
«^ notice how the Ukrainian girl seems to have a much easier time imitating the sounds of portuguese and sounds very natural, while the the venezuelan girl just sounds like shes speaking spanish. »

I understood the Venezuelan girl well, but I couldn't get the first words of the Ukrainian girl.
It sounds natural for someone who is dumb in Portuguese. he he he
lolling Joao   Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm GMT
No offense for the Ukrainian, of course. She does her best