Terms...

Boy   Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:40 pm GMT
Hi, I'm just curious to know what these terms stand for. Intermediate English learner, High Intermediate learner, and Advanced English learner. It would be a lot better for me to understand if someone explained these terms in the international context. For instance, what sort of work/stuff an Intermediate student would be able to do if he/she visits America/England. Same for other groups of students. (High intermediate and Advanced.). One more thing. Are these groups of students able to understand day to day conversations of native speakers(most of the time)?

Thank you.
Sander   Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:50 pm GMT
Well,as I see it everything equal or above "Intermediate" could easilly understand a 'ay to day conversations of native speakers' ;)
Boy   Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:22 pm GMT
Thanks sander. Good observation there. let's stick to high intermediate students. My question is, will they be able to understand lectures of professors at American schools easily or not most of the time? (also suppose that they are undergraduate students).
Sander   Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
Highschools? Yes ,probably with no difficulties at all.Univercity lectures?Hmm that would depend on the subject,but a high intermediate should be able to understand the main thing,can't expect him to get all the details though.
Mxsmanic   Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:17 am GMT
There aren't any standard definitions for these terms. About the only thing one can say for certain about them is that an advanced learner usually is above a high intermediate, and a high intermediate is above an intermediate.

I've come across very few ESL/EFL materials for "advanced learners." Most materials are divided into beginner or elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate, and upper-intermediate. But all of these terms are extremely flexible, and one person's upper-intermediate may be another person's advanced.