Culturally,Spain is closer to HispAmerica than Brazil is

Rest   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 pm GMT
Everytime we speak about brazilian culture,the people always say:
-americans cant find brazil on map
-americans think brazil speaks spanish
-below texas all is the same for americans etc
We know that americans only talk about themselves,but they are not so idiot and his education is very good to make us believe in this nonsense.
We can speak about cultures perception between latin americans.

Differences between countries exists like there are differences between people,regions,etc of the same country.
But speaking about countries,the Brazil clearly is not inserted in hispanic context.At least like spain is.
Brazil is related to Hispanics as another neighboring country would become related with any.
Differences between two hispanic countries is bigger than Brazil and any other hispanic.

Facts that make me think so:

1-a venezuelan student reads a book of a Spanish auctor, an Argentine student reads a book of a Mexican auctor and so on, but the Brazilian students only read Brazilians or Portuguese books, all of them retracts our regionalisms
2-Brazilians do not know nothing about no-(brazilian-european-american) history.ask to some brazilian who was simon bolivar eg. is the same of ask the capital of macedonia
3-all product that I buy and is said that is "latin" is always related to hispanic culture and idiom
4-which flags you can identify? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/LittleHavanOct06CafeteriaArt.jpg
5-if something very important happens in a hispanic country every hispanic country knows. brazilians only knows if the rest of the world knows.
6-brazilian tv never retrats hispanic reality.they prefer to show the reality of the unknown tribes of the Amazonia though.
7-type "latino" in google.com, all the ocurrences will be 'spain','mexico','argentina',tortillas' etc.
8-in mexican foruns you can see argentineans,chileans,spaniards(almost no brazilians),same with argentinean,uruguayan,spanish etc.But in brazilian foruns you can see only brazilians.
9-even being from the south of the country,i feel myself very foreign when i go to argentina or mexico.
10-brazil is the only country that speak Portuguese in America
11-hispanics normally hates in a special way the portuguese idiom.sometimes i speak the easiest word in portuguese,and some of them say with anger 'I cannot hear nothing' and becomes annoyed.
12-all time that a brazilian and a hispanic are close they are talking about commerce.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am GMT
Brazil is closer to Portuguese Africa than to Argentina or Spain. The true cousins of the Brazilians are the Angolese and Mozambicans because there are a lot of blacks in these countries and also they speak the same language.
Vinlander   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 am GMT
Franco Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am GMT

Claims like that need to be backed up. The industrial heart of brazil is the south where mostly germans settled.

Brazilians are American. People in the states are american too, there just ignorant to what the words mean.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:26 am GMT
The industrial heart of Brazil is Sao Paulo. German settlers settled in Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Parana (close to Uruguay and Argentina). Anyways these states also have their good deal of blacks and pardos. Probably you got an idyllic yet false idea of blond southern Brazilians based on what they show on TV. German settlers in Brazil are heavily diluted among the people of Portuguese and Black ancestry.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:41 am GMT
In Sao Paulo there are 12 millions of people. 6 millions claim Italian ancestry, and 3 millions are of Portuguese ancestry. There are people of German heritage too, but not in big percentage. There are more people in Sao Paulo of Spanish ancestry than German,. As I said German settlers were more prevalent in the three southermost states: Rio Grande , Santa Catarina and Parana. Despite these states have nice standard of living (yet worse than Uruguay's and Argentina's), they are not part of the demographic and economic core of Brazil . Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are.
Rest   Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:33 am GMT
Franco i was not talking about genetics.
My approach is the 'culture'.
Every hispanic from hispanic countries knows that Brazil is a country apart, i gave you my reasons.
The south of brasil is distant from, for example, northeast or north,but still is closer to them than to other hispanic country.

And são paulo and rio de janeiro are very mixed cities despite being rich.We can say that they are the "united states" of Brazil.I mean,they receive many immigrants.Any brazilian citizen feel in house when arriving in São Paulo.
rep   Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:30 am GMT
Strange topic. Spain propagate its culture and language in HispAmerica through the ages.Brasil has influence of Portuguese culture.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm GMT
Genetics is more important than culture because culture changes in few decades quite easily. I hardly can consider to belong to the same culture than my grandfather but genes are more durable (as long as you don't mix with black people).
Ren   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:47 pm GMT
And just because you are a racist "spaniard" makes it more important? Also, we are talking about culture. and Yes cultures do evolve, but still, thank god Brazilian culture is not hispanic, or perhaps we would have the same narrow nationalist mentality as you.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:53 pm GMT
I'm not racist, I'm just factual.
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 pm GMT
lol..right, what facts?
Franco   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm GMT
BRASILIA, Brazil, March 18 (Reuters) - ...a U.N. human rights envoy invited to study hunger said famine in Brazil amounted to genocide and that thousands were being "assassinated" by malnutrition in a class war.

Ziegler, who arrived in Brazil last month to research famine among the 170 million population, was reported on Monday in the daily Folha de Sao Paulo as saying: "There is a class war in Brazil. Some 40,000 people are assassinated every year, statistics show. For the U.N., 15,000 is an indicator of war.

"The statistics indicate that a third of Brazilians suffer from malnutrition. In Brazil, where the soil is fertile and rich in the tropical climate, famine is genocide," he was quoting as saying. "Who dies of hunger in Brazil is assassinated."
Vinlander   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:41 pm GMT
Franco Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:53 pm GMT
I'm not racist, I'm just factual.

Plz show me were you came up with these facts. Anyone thats knows anything about genetics, know as a fact that their is more genetic variation within a group of people than there is a cross the globe. There are about 40 genes related to race, you and your brother differ more than 40 genes.
Penetra   Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 am GMT
Franco,

You may believe what you like, but culture is indeed stronger than genes. The modern Spanish and Portuguese are a mix of various ethnicities that settled in the Iberian peninsula, but the core Iberian culture is mostly indebted to the Roman empire, which vanished from this Earth 15 centuries ago, and to the Catholic Church, which is the result of the fusion between
Classical culture and Jewish theology. That is so, even though most of their genes may not be "roman", "greek" or "hebrew."

That holds true in Latin America, by the way: our core culture is also Roman,
even though a lot of our genes are "Indian" or "African." I cannot stress how
much I disagree with other Brazilians who try to brush off that common heritage, especially when they do so in broken English.

Good luck repopulating Spain with Romanian or Russian crooks/thieves/prostitutes who have no appreciation for Spanish culture.
Agora   Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:46 pm GMT
"Genetics is more important than culture because culture changes in few decades quite easily. I hardly can consider to belong to the same culture than my grandfather but genes are more durable (as long as you don't mix with black people). "

Genetic can be more durable.But we mustnt make of bunch or group countries with it.
Take twin brothers and bring one of them to south korea and the other for canada for example.
Some exemples where we have almost the same genes but different cultures and ideals:china/japan,south korea/north korea,sunni/shia,serbians/bosnians.