Which European language is the most expressive/precise?

JoelA   Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 am GMT
I would like to write a novel in a European language other than English and have been trying to look at the pros and cons of each language - but this information is hard to come by. I read in this forum:

"when it comes to written Romance languages, French and Italian are the uncontested champions of elegance in structuring of thoughts, vivacity of expression and use of nuances, which you can sometimes almost hear when you read them!!!!"

and I was just wondering if this was true and generally agreed to. I'm thinking of either writing in French, Spanish, or German so any input into the ability and differences of each language to get across one's thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I read also that French is good for precision. Spanish and German, I don't know what...

I'm open to pretty much all languages though, so if you have a suggestion please tell me why; I would appreciate it. I just hate that the English language has been so bastardized so I want to choose a new one.
a demotivator   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am GMT
You aren't going to write a novel in another language. Never in a million years. You're not Nabokov.

End of discussion.
Maxwell Blanc   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am GMT
<<You aren't going to write a novel in another language.>>

Most of us will never write a novel in our native language, especially a novel that other folks would want to read.
JoelA   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 am GMT
It's unfortunate that you guys have such a lack of faith. I'm sure Nabokov heard the same comments. I would just appreciate it if someone could answer my question, as I don't need to be told that I cannot do something.
Penetra   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am GMT
That was one clever troll! Hats off to you, sir.
Blanche   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 pm GMT
I wnder at how un-expressive the written Italian language must be, since they seem to need to punctuate spoken Italian with many physical ticks, spasms and arm-waving gestures.
Vinlander   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 pm GMT
Penetra Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am GMT
Penetra Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am GMT
Marcellus Minimus   Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:06 pm GMT
How about Classical Latin?
L.L.   Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:17 pm GMT
I think that all of them are precise and at the same time are expressive.

So, if you want to write in another language, you should choose the better you speak and write.

There is another interesting point: the biggest market, the economic point is almost always decissive.

You should think the speakers of every language as mother tongue:

Spanish: 425 million.

German: 100 million.

French: 75 million

Italian: 60 million
Guest111   Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm GMT
Along with Nabokov, Joseph Conrad didn't speak English fluently until his twenties and he wrote Heart of Darkness in English, also some North Korean immigrant in Germany just wrote a book in German, so I can't think writing a novel in a second language is as impossible as people claim.
a demotivator   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 pm GMT
<<Along with Nabokov, Joseph Conrad didn't speak English fluently until his twenties and he wrote Heart of Darkness in English, also some North Korean immigrant in Germany just wrote a book in German, so I can't think writing a novel in a second language is as impossible as people claim.>>

So? All that tells us is that more people have won the Nobel Prize for Physics.

Basically, if you're of the calibre that you could do it, you wouldn't be here on Antimoon asking stupid questions!