Chinese words borrowed into American English

Shuimo   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:44 pm GMT
Hey, how many of them can you recognize among all the following American English words that are actually borrowed from Chinese?

Dingho

Bonsai

Shanghai

Cheong-sam

Dingho

Fengshui

Ginseng

Gung-ho

IChing

Kowtow

Mah-jong

Sampan

Silk

Tai-chi

Tao

Tofu

Tong

YinandYang
far from Bovina   Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:55 pm GMT
Are "China" and "Chinese" borrowed from Chinese?
Perdo   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:51 pm GMT
Borrowed from what language exactly? Mandarin? Cantonese? Taiwanese? Shanghainese?
Veronica   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm GMT
Bonsai and Tofu are borrowed from Japanese, not Chinese languages.

I didn't recognise Dingho even though it's in the list twice. What is it?

It's a very short list. China clearly has very little influence on the English language.

Oh, one thing really annoys me. why do we go to all the bother of transliterating a word as "Feng Shui", which isn't even written in the Roman alphabet in its home country, and then people insist on saying "Fung Shway". Grr - at least transliterate phonetically if you're going to transliterate.

Same goes for the Korean Daewoo - don't give me a W in there if we're not meant to say it, goddamit! Thankfully they went bust and I don't need to see or hear that word much nowadays.
Pete from Peru   Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 am GMT
<<Silk>>

Silk looks anything but Chinese.

Silk itself was created there. But the English word for it is not of Chinese origin. It looks like a very anglo word.
Shuimo   Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm GMT
<<Veronica Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm GMT
Bonsai and Tofu are borrowed from Japanese, not Chinese languages.

I didn't recognise Dingho even though it's in the list twice. What is it?>>
Bonsai 盆栽

Tofu 豆腐

>>It's a very short list. China clearly has very little influence on the English language.<<

Well, Chinglish has become the biggest source of english!

>>Oh, one thing really annoys me. why do we go to all the bother of transliterating a word as "Feng Shui", which isn't even written in the Roman alphabet in its home country, and then people insist on saying "Fung Shway". Grr - at least transliterate phonetically if you're going to transliterate.<<

Feng Shui is a perfect phonectic transcrption of 风水 in Chinese

Same goes for the Korean Daewoo - don't give me a W in there if we're not meant to say it, goddamit! Thankfully they went bust and I don't need to see or hear that word much nowadays.
Shuimo   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 am GMT
Someone, please be my friend..... I am so lonely.....