Best Scandanavian language to learn

take-it-to-the-blanc   Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:10 pm GMT
You should learn the language that most interests you. People who choose their target language based on say, the number of speakers, are people doomed to a deserved failure. You can only learn what you really, truly, intuitively want to learn. Any other reason for learning is a bad one. Listen to your heart and let it decide which of those you want to study. Don't ignore it just because you feel obligated by the supposed utility of some other language. It's YOUR life, no one else's, never forget that. No one else is going to live your life for you, so you shouldn't make your decisions and commitments (which learning a language is) based on what someone else tells you to do. If you learn languages you don't really want to learn, you'll die thinking about the langugages you really wanted to learn but never did because other people said it wasn't as useful. Every one of those languages will provide access to the others in one form or another, of course.

Finnish is not a Scandinavian language nor is Finland part of Scandinavia, BTW.
Franco   Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:12 pm GMT
Learn Sami.
Nathalie   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 pm GMT
Don't just talk about it - get going today! If you cannot find private classes where you live - try getting a native Swedish teacher to teach you online!

I tried the website www.lingueo.com and the teacher I got felt really competent and nice to talk to. She was a native speaker, certified teacher, and had been tested by the websites staff. The price was really low too due to the competition on the website and she offered the first class free!

I recommend it. Good luck!