For Americans....

European   Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 pm GMT
Hi, I just want to ask You few simple questions :
1) How do you view English speakers with no /u:/ fronting for example: New Yorkers, Irish or Bostonians?
2) Is that high, back vowel the same sound like the one found in Spanish or Italian,( except that it is just longer)?
sdlm   Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:54 am GMT
On #1 I assume you mean speakers who are in the caught-cot merger; Personally it frustrates me to listen to them as they just don't enunciate their words with the same precision as people in my area.

For example, if I go a few hundred miles north the ending 'r' disappears off of many words. Car becomes 'ca' murderer becomes 'murda-ah'. Of course a similar problem happens several hundred miles to my south; wash becomes 'warsh' pool becomes 'poo-ool' and so on.

The problem here is, things are always going to sound wrong to me when they are not from the same area. Once the k was actually pronounced in knight, we drop enunciation all of the time and that is fine, but I am sure an english speaker from the era that pronounced it would think that I don't enunciate the words properly either.

As far as 2. I have no clue on any romance language so I couldn't be of assistance there.
Skippy   Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:19 am GMT
For #1 I was thinking more those of is in the South/Southwest where /u/ is almost like /Y/. When I hear a (typically Midwesterner, often folks from Iowa and Illinois) saying words like "food" /fud/ it sounds a little like they're trying too hard....

Outside the South and Southwest, I think the /u/ in the American dialects ends up being more like /u@/.

Of course, if I'm wrong let me know. Ya'll always do... :-D
front   Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 am GMT
>> How do you view English speakers with no /u:/ fronting for example: New Yorkers, Irish or Bostonians? <<

I don't think that the average person (with no interest in linguistics), would really notice it at all *if it were the only feature that was different* in someone's accent.
@@@   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:51 pm GMT
I don't mind Irish speakers. After all, there are other aspects of their accent that I find charming. I don't care for NY or Bostonian accents particularly, but since I've met people who are very pleasant (despite the accent)-I try to focus on what they say, not their accents.

I'm sure my mix of Socal/midwest/southern isn't their cup of tea either.