Accents coming back

German in America   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 am GMT
Hi,
I'm German, none of my family was in america before my parents and me. I've been raised in America and can speak perfect English. I've never had a accent problem because I went to america when i was very young. but lately friends have been telling me that i pronounce some words weird that i never used to pronouce differently. such as Kilometer. In American English it is pronounced (kil-uh-mee-ter) but lately ive pronounced it (kil-o-meter) unconsciously. Is there such thing as a accent coming back later in life?
Banana   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 am GMT
I wouldn't worry about it. Everybody has an 'accent'. Somebody from the United States has an accent for an Englishman, vice versa. Besides, how is 'caramel' pronounced? It all depends on where you live and your upbringing. And who cares what your friends think, too? Why not make fun of them for how they pronounce things as well? Cheers.
Franco   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 am GMT
Why are people so obsessed with avoiding accented speech? Accents are beautiful. Be proud of your German accent , there is nothing wrong as long as you speak proper and understandable English.
duh   Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 am GMT
Obviously you're a native speaker. The pronunciation that you mentioned has nothing to do with a German accent. It's just a variation on that word found in the US. I've pronounced it both ways too. Same with coupon, or aunt, or caramel, route or licorice, (a teacher of mine said that he was going to pronounce it as /'lIkrIs/, and vase as /vAz/ rather than /lIkrIS/ and /veIs/, so he got most of the class doing it as well after awhile. His idiosyncratic version of licrorice is probably the least common of those words.)

The most natural pronunciation that I have is:
Cue-pon
Ant
Karmel
Licrish
Vase (like case)

But I've used the other variant pronunciations as well.

Since enough people use either variant in every region of North America, you cannot chalk it up to a "German accent".
Matematik   Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:03 pm GMT
American English is the most crap sounding dialect of English there is, you can tell it's highly Untermensch influenced.