English through France 24 vs Deusche Welle

Shuimo   Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:50 am GMT
Have you ever watched France 24 and Deutsch Welle? The two both have English progamming, apart from their respective native language broadcasts French and German (which Shuimo have to skip due to my ignorance of non-English Western languages), on air non-stop all day!O(∩_∩)O

What Shuimo finds particularly interesting is the striking contrasts of the Engishes these two TV channels present through the mouths of their native-born prensenters and reporters, as viewed from pitch and accent and sound quality!

The overwhelming impression is that:

Go for France 24 if you want to taste soft-spoken English with French flavors! Should we call it Franglish?(*^__^*)

Go for Deutsch Welle if you want to taste hard-spoken English with German flavors! Perhaps we can call it Germanglish?(*^__^*)

It seems to me English is born from a parental language or English is wearing a Frech or a German garment, and the audio effect is very amusing and interesting!
Shuimo   Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 pm GMT
No viewer of France 24 or Deusche Welle here at antimoon?
K.   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:11 pm GMT
I watch DW once in awhile, Shuimo. It's a good resource, but I don't use it for English unless I miss something from a German broadcast.
bubbus   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 pm GMT
<<which Shuimo have to skip due to my ignorance of non-English Western languages>>

I thought there was just one Western Language. Things like French, German, English, Finnish, Basque, etc, were just dialects of one language? If so, when you learn English, shouldn't you be able to understand these other dialects automatically?
Uriel   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:46 am GMT
<<which Shuimo have to skip due to my ignorance of non-English Western languages), on air non-stop all day!>>

When Shuimo refers to himself in the third person, he has to use the third person conjugation of the verb as well. Therefore, it would be preferable to say "which Shuimo HAS to skip". It is also stylistically preferable to be consistent in that choice of usage (however odd it may be), especially within the same sentence -- I would advise against referring to yourself in the third person in one half and then switching to the first person in the second.
Shuimo   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm GMT
bubbus Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 pm GMT
<<which Shuimo have to skip due to my ignorance of non-English Western languages>>

I thought there was just one Western Language. Things like French, German, English, Finnish, Basque, etc, were just dialects of one language? If so, when you learn English, shouldn't you be able to understand these other dialects automatically?
===============================

哈哈哈hahah,bubbus, you misunderstood Shuimo, bubbus!
Thank you for echoing Shuimo's thoery of all Western languages as being in fact dialects of just one language! ^_^

Yes, Shuimo can't understand other Western languages than English, which shares a dialectal relationship with French, German, Finnish, Basque, etc, just as you list it! That should make perfect sense to anyone who has any real knowledge of dialects!O(∩_∩)O

Dialects mean that these languages are differently pronounced, but they are roughly the same when these languages are recorded in the written form!
You see Shuimo is a perfect speaker of Mandarin Chinese, or Putonghua, the common language of China, but I just can't understand other Chinese dialect speakers from particular regions of China, say someone from Guangdong Province, or Fujian Province, or Zhejiang Province, because they speak Yue dialect, Minnan dialect, and Wu dialect, all being dialects of Chinese!\(^o^)/~
Shuimo   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:41 pm GMT
Uriel Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:46 am GMT
<<which Shuimo have to skip due to my ignorance of non-English Western languages), on air non-stop all day!>>

When Shuimo refers to himself in the third person, he has to use the third person conjugation of the verb as well. Therefore, it would be preferable to say "which Shuimo HAS to skip". It is also stylistically preferable to be consistent in that choice of usage (however odd it may be), especially within the same sentence -- I would advise against referring to yourself in the third person in one half and then switching to the first person in the second.
=======================

Uriel, Shuimo is sure you won't be the last one to frown upon my way of self-addressing! I just can't remember how many guys haved raised the issue to Shuimo with an understandaly puzzled and advising mentality!O(∩_∩)O ROFL!