English spelling bias

US   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 pm GMT
Hey Uriel, I'm guessing it's google Translator right? Because those sentences are very, very, very bad.
Vinlander   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 am GMT
A) not trying to argue for spelling reform.
B)even without the reform english looks clearly not latin based.
C) However it's relationship to Germanic languages is muddy, like I said we use S's, C's,O's, Y's, when they use Z's, K's, U's, J's. Also there is the cleary the way we put silent vowels after consonants. Mine Time shine crime, where german would spell it something like this mein tiem shein criem. Just to complete the thought our latin/greek borrowings are overstated by how we spell them very similar to how they are spelt in the originally language. Just think of words like question, photo, picture, complicated, with a more natural spelling kweschan, foto, pikshur, Komplakated see what I mean?

Off topic//There copied directly out of wiki. One from a spelling reform page, the french and dutch from their english pages. They english is cleary written in the form of southern english. For arguemtns sake what are ten words that couldn't be agreed on, I don't me words that are cleary unique to a dialect no bax instead of box, or haa instead of her, etc. And keep in mind that there are differences between american/canadian and ul spelling already
Uriel   Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:29 am GMT
<<Hey Uriel, I'm guessing it's google Translator right? Because those sentences are very, very, very bad. >>

Nope, SDLFreeTranslator.com. It's got all the Scandinavian languages few others bother with. As for the quality of the sentences, what did you expect? It's a word for word deal, like most online translators. Which actually made it perfect for the exercise: it allows you to compare the words more directly and see if they superficially "look" one way or the other. (I mean, seriously, if you really thought I was going to know Danish or Norwegian, sorry to disappoint, but....)