Feedback on American Accent (Samples)

Test   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:25 am GMT
I have two voice samples where I read the paragraph below in two slightly different styles.

Could some native-born American speakers give me feedback on which of the two styles sounds better and more American, and which one sounds more foreign? Which one (or both) of these would cause you to ask me "Where are you from"?

The text:
----
"President Obama announced Tuesday that nations participating in a summit conference have agreed to secure all loose nuclear materials in four years as part of a broad effort to guard against the terrifying prospect of nuclear terrorism. "We have seized this opportunity, and because of the steps we've taken . . . the American people will be safer and the world will be more secure," Obama told a news conference at the end of the Nuclear Security Summit. All of the 47 participating nations agreed in the final communique on "the urgency and seriousness of the threat," Obama said. "Today we are declaring that nuclear terrorism is one of the most challenging threats to international security," he said. "We also agreed that the most effective way to prevent terrorists and criminals from acquiring nuclear materials is through strong nuclear security: protecting nuclear materials and preventing nuclear smuggling."

Style 1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/emt85x
Style 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/usosv1

American-born native speakers only, please (or those who have lived in the US for a very long time)
Test   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am GMT
Thanks in advance. I'm mainly interested in feedback regarding how the two styles compare, and which one of the 2 sounds more American to a native speaker's ears.
ma:ti   Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 am GMT
based on those two, i find the 1st one sounds more american, and the 2nd sounds less american, but only by a small margin.
US   Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 pm GMT
Not gonna comment on the audio files since I don't get the difference anyway, but just as a note:

"communique" is actually pronounced kəmjunəkeɪ (kemyunekay if you prefer)
Original Poster   Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm GMT
US: Thanks. Any feedback on the general sound?
ma:ti: thanks
Original Poster   Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 am GMT
Well fuck you guys then.
Stephanie   Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 pm GMT
I listeded to the first but can't retrieve the second file. If you re-post I would be glad to listen and let you know what I think.
Stephanie   Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 pm GMT
"listened" :)
Original Poster   Mon May 31, 2010 2:00 am GMT
Stephanie, unfortunately I don't have the second link anymore. But could you comment based on the first sample? Are you hearing any accent? thanks
Stephanie   Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:46 pm GMT
Your reading sounds non-distinct, meaning that if I just heard you speak without this preface that I wouldn't be able to pinpoint exactly what part of the country (USA) you are from. Aside from the word "all", I don't really hear any accent, but If I had to make a guess, I would wager you're British - based on your pronunciation of the word. However if I were to just hear you out somewhere speaking I honestly don't know that I would notice, if anything I might get the impression of a tinge of "properness" in the way you speak, nothing more.

I hope this helps.