The British need to get over it...

Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:29 pm GMT
Primo inter pares.....I think Quintus was referring to a more pure form of English as opposed to a bastardised version, and I don't think that the issue of which has the largest number of speakers on a global basis is all that relevant all things considered, anyway.

It's true that many Continental Europeans do prefer, and use, the American version of spoken and written English, in particular those from the countries of Eastern Europe, which is of course their absolute right.

I've found that a fair number of Scandinavians also choose to speak English with more than just a hint of an American accent and vocabulary.....again it's their choice, but I have to admit to feeling a wee bit irritated when I hear them doing so. I'm not really sure whether this "irritation", not annoyance as such, is warranted or even justified....I think it's simply because I am not really a fan of the general American accent anyway, and in any case I truly don't give a toss which accent they adopt when speaking English......but there have been occasions when listening to certain American correspondents reporting in the UK broadcasting media that I could, just could at a pinch, feel more well disposed towards a Scouse, Brummie or a rampant Estuary accent straight off an estate in Camberwell, and that's saying something.

Who now cares whether the British "were" "are" "was" "is" "isn't" anything at all, anyway. We just are what we are right now, emerging into the second decade of the third millennium - who cares about anything to "get over" - we leave that to the horses and the fences at Aintree on Grand National Day, just passed.......take us or leave us....come here and be welcome, or choose to go elsewhere...in any case you can't come here right now unless you come by Eurostar or ferry or paddle your own canoe up the Thames Estuary or the Firth of Forth.

Us and Them speak - you're free to choose either* but you can't really have both...or can you? Anyway, I know which I'm sticking to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_g61r06KY

* It's either "eye-thuh" or "ee-thurr". ;-)
Quintus   Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 pm GMT
What "movies and youngsters" and other fads may hold has little bearing upon the once and future King's English, methinks.

Doubters may laugh till their cows come home to milk them for all they've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdXLfx0xoQ&feature=related
Quintus   Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:12 pm GMT
And what, may I ask, was the great phenomenon that took America by storm last year ?- That's right, it was a Scotswoman who utterly enthralled American hearts by walking onto a British television show and singing "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miz, an Anglo-French musical. She subsequently made a very successful tour of the United States. "Master-slave" indeed.

Thank you, thank you - that will be all now.

Susan has left the building.
Armada   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm GMT
<<'ve found that a fair number of Scandinavians also choose to speak English with more than just a hint of an American accent and vocabulary.....again it's their choice, but I have to admit to feeling a wee bit irritated when I hear them doing so. I'm not really sure whether this "irritation", not annoyance as such, is warranted or even justified....

>>

That sounds like you are a closeted nationalist.
USA GLORY   Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:54 pm GMT
No, they don't NEED to get over it. Why? Simply because no one cares about them. Whether they're "over it" or not is irrelevant and in no way affects objective reality. Let them "not get over it", see if the world cares...
Maid Lee   Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm GMT
<Primo inter pares...I have to admit to feeling a wee bit irritated when I hear them doing so...That's right, it was a Scotswoman who utterly enthralled American hearts>

So...if I understand correctly, the British have a poor grasp of Latin, are vexed by the accents of anglophone Scandinavians, and regard Susan Boyle as their most significant cultural export of recent years...

It can only be a matter of time before one of them plays the "Churchill" card. (Or maybe "turning up late for the war".)
Quintus   Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 am GMT
Britain's most significant musical export of recent years is Stephen Hough the pianist (born in Cheshire), but in your strained attempts at belittling British culture you will not have noticed.

Hough (pronounced "Huff") is highly regarded as a performer in America, and currently teaches in Australia.
Womtereis   Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:56 am GMT
@ Everyone

I swear, sometimes I think the people most dedicated to this website are the worst trolls. Why on Earth is it so important who has a "superior" form of English? It is entirely subjective anyway.

@ Armada

Damian has demonstrated time and time again that he is no closet nationalist. Why would you even ask that question? He might as well have the Union Jack tattooed to his forehead.

@ Everyone

As far as the British getting over it, they need to do just that. It really is about time. And it is about time Americans got over it too.

English has never been and will never be "pure" as Damian states. It is a mutt language that people in Brittan and the U.S. happen to share in common. In my experience, many Americans are just as willing to fawn over a British accent as the British are themselves (there, envy and vanity working together). And for what reason? It is "posh". And why is it "posh"? Because it is associated with an antiquated, festering old class system which tells us that we should admire people for doing nothing more than being born into privilege and taught a certain type of English. Blah! It is inane nonsense. The exact thing one should expect from a country that still, after all these centuries, cannot manage to kick the Bishops out of their legislative body. No wonder the Irish Catholics were so pissed off.
Quintus   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 am GMT
>>a poor grasp of Latin>>

I wrote "prima inter pares", Maid Lee. "Prima", obviously, to agree correctly with the implied feminine noun Britannia, which is Britain.
Quintus   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 am GMT
>>envy and vanity working together>>

What a wonderful way of putting it !

There is something rather reassuring in knowing that such odd concord can work its magic in the Anglo-American accord (long may it thrive !).
Quintus   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:45 am GMT
>>many Americans are just as willing to fawn over a British accent...admire people for doing nothing more than being born into privilege and taught a certain type of English>>

Have you noticed, though, that most of the British speakers whom Americans idolise or admire have working-class or middle-class or regional accents - not "posh" at all ?- Becks (pure Cockney), Borat, Ricky Gervais, Simon Powell (Yanks really do like him), Piers Morgan, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, J. K. Rowling, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Jason Statham, Ger Butler, Anthony Hopkins, Rod Stewart, Tom Jones, the Stones and Beatles and all ?

With their own ears (without being told) Americans can instinctively recognise a point of origin in British speech, the same way Danes regard Icelandic speech as "purer", or at least more venerable.

There's nothing wrong with it, Womtereis.

Remember you're a Womble !
Quintus   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 am GMT
And yes, I realise that my analogy was not exact :

The Norse speech of Iceland was imported from the mainland a thousand years ago, but the ancient forms of the language are admired for surviving unchanged amidst the fire and ice.

By contrast, American speech is being revitalised with each new generation, yet they are constantly aware and appreciative of the touchstone of British speech.
danny russia   Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 am GMT
'US', as another learner who thinks AE is both better and simpler, your analysis was a pleasure to read.

The Brits do need to get over it already. I detect the butthurt post-imperial syndrome in 90% of Brits' posts here. You created this hugh jass empire stretching across 4 continents and spread your language to so many parts of the world - did you really expect it to remain the same in all these different countries and cultures? Sorry but English's not exclusively your language anymore. No single nation has a final say in how English should be.
Irony   Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:18 pm GMT
Then if nobody has a say in how it should be spoken what the hell are you all whining about? I dont actually remember anyone saying that BE was better. Does somebody have an inferiority complex?
AnotherGuyfromNowhere   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:59 pm GMT
What aboot Canadian English? It's got both of the dialects. As well, it sounds cool too.

*I'm not canadian, you can be sure 'boot that*