Do you distinguish in pronunciation between?

SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:32 pm GMT
Do you distinguish in pronunciation between:

''cot'' and ''caught''
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry''
''card'' and ''cord''
''pour'' and ''poor''
''wine'' and ''whine''
''horse'' and ''hoarse''
The vowels in ''nearer'' and ''mirror''
The vowels in ''hurry'' and ''furry''
''lock'' and ''loch''
''pull'' and ''pool''
''tune'' and ''toon''
''do'' and ''dew''
''loot'' and ''lute''
''rood'' and ''rude''
The vowels in ''bad'' and ''lad''
The vowels in ''father'' and ''bother''

And where are you from?

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I'm from Florida, and for me:

''cot'' and ''caught'' No
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' No
''card'' and ''cord'' Yes
''pour'' and ''poor'' No
''wine'' and ''whine'' No
''horse'' and ''hoarse'' No
The vowels in ''nearer'' and ''mirror'' No
The vowels in ''hurry'' and ''furry'' No
''lock'' and ''loch'' No
''pull'' and ''pool'' Yes
''tune'' and ''toon'' No
''do'' and ''dew'' No
''loot'' and ''lute'' No
''rood'' and ''rude'' No
The vowels in ''bad'' and ''lad'' No
The vowels in ''father'' and ''bother'' No
Ekko   Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:53 pm GMT
cot'' and ''caught''
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry''
''card'' and ''cord''
''pour'' and ''poor''
''wine'' and ''whine''
''horse'' and ''hoarse''
The vowels in ''nearer'' and ''mirror''
The vowels in ''hurry'' and ''furry''
''lock'' and ''loch''
''pull'' and ''pool''
''tune'' and ''toon''
''do'' and ''dew''
''loot'' and ''lute''
''rood'' and ''rude''
The vowels in ''bad'' and ''lad''
The vowels in ''father'' and ''bother''

mary=meahry, merry= m(sp):e:(d)rry
card= A as in "on", but i say it "kohd"
hoarse=hoarse, but i saw both as "hawss"

other than that most are the same

ekko from NY
Chamonix   Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:50 pm GMT
''pour'' and ''poor'' No "
------------------------
Really? I just can't believe you guys there in FL pronounce these 2 words alike. I see a big difference in their pronounciation and I wouldn't be able to pronounce them the same way.
Kirk   Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:03 am GMT
<<''pour'' and ''poor'' No "
------------------------
Really? I just can't believe you guys there in FL pronounce these 2 words alike. I see a big difference in their pronounciation and I wouldn't be able to pronounce them the same way.>>

It's not just Florida. I think many NAE dialects (but not all, obviously) do not happen to distinguish between those two words. I'm a speaker of one of those dialects on the other side of the continent here in California. I pronounce "pour" and "poor" (as well as "pore") as /pOr/.
Rick from England   Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm GMT
Yes to everything except:

''pour'' and ''poor''
''wine'' and ''whine''
''horse'' and ''hoarse''
''loot'' and ''lute''
''rood'' and ''rude''

which are all the same!
Gjones2   Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:12 pm GMT
I'm in South Carolina (that's the source of most of my accent, but I've also lived in Miami, Denver, and some non-English-speaking countries):

>"Do you distinguish in pronunciation between:"

''cot'' and ''caught'' Yes
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' Yes
''card'' and ''cord'' Yes
''pour'' and ''poor'' No
''wine'' and ''whine'' Yes
''horse'' and ''hoarse'' No
The vowels in ''nearer'' and ''mirror'' Yes
The vowels in ''hurry'' and ''furry'' No
''lock'' and ''loch'' No
''pull'' and ''pool'' Yes
''tune'' and ''toon'' No
''do'' and ''dew'' Yes
''loot'' and ''lute'' No
''rood'' and ''rude'' No
The vowels in ''bad'' and ''lad'' No
The vowels in ''father'' and ''bother'' No
Damian from Scotland   Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:46 pm GMT
Damian from SCOTLAND and his pronunciations in the list (haven't I seen it before somewhere?) are the same as those of Rick from ENGLAND........ except with "pour" and "poor"....a slight distinction here for moi. The first is similar to "more" but unlike English Rick I roll the "R" a wee bit...the second is more like the French word "pur" .....again R rolling.....sort of.
SpaceFlight   Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
<<''pour'' and ''poor'' No "
------------------------
Really? I just can't believe you guys there in FL pronounce these 2 words alike. I see a big difference in their pronounciation and I wouldn't be able to pronounce them the same way.>>

Yep, Here in Florida we pronounce ''pour'' and ''poor'' (as well as "pore") all as /pOr/. But, as Kirk said, it's not just Florida.

I have heard a few people pronounce ''poor'' as /pur/ (with the ''oo'' sound in ''food'') and thus different from their ''pour''. That pronunciation sounds a bit odd to me.

I also pronounce ''more'' and ''moor'' both as /mOr/.
SpaceFlight   Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:49 pm GMT
Where are you from Chamonix?
Sander   Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:37 pm GMT
"SpaceFlight "

Arren't you "Don"?! ):/
Chamonix   Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:42 pm GMT
IL.
I've been to FL, but I didn't really pay attention.
However I heard more Spanish then English, in Miami I mean.
Kirk   Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:57 am GMT
<<"SpaceFlight "

Arren't you "Don"?! ):/>>

Good eye, Sander, you're right, but actually SpaceFlight has confessed to his former misdeeds at least on unilang (not sure if he did an apology here). Check out:

http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6560&highlight=

On that forum my username happens to be "svenska84," just so you don't get confused.
SpaceFlight   Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:42 pm GMT
''IL.
I've been to FL, but I didn't really pay attention.
However I heard more Spanish then English, in Miami I mean.''

Chamonix,

So you're from Illinois, right? Do most people in your area distinguish ''pour'' and ''poor''? Do you pronounce ''poor'' with the ''oo'' sound in ''food'' /pur/? For me, both ''poor'' and ''pour'' (as well as ''pore'') sound similar to your pronunciation of ''pour''.

In my accent, the vowel sound /u/ as in ''food'' can never occur before /r/, so thus ''pour'' and ''poor'' would sound the same. A pronunciation like /pur/ for ''poor'' would not be permitted in my accent, because /u/ never occurs before /r/ for me.

Do you also pronounce ''more'' and ''moor'' differently? For me, they're both /mOr/.
Chamonix   Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:33 pm GMT
Spaceflight,

We pronounce "poor" /pOr/ and not /pur/ like in "food" and "pour" /pur/ like in "cool".
I am not sure if I got the phonetic transcription right, but I would say that the "oo" in "poor" is rounder then "ou" in "pour", to my ear though.
SpaceFlight   Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:13 pm GMT
<<I am not sure if I got the phonetic transcription right, but I would say that the "oo" in "poor" is rounder then "ou" in "pour", to my ear though.>>

If the ''oo'' in ''poor'' is more rounded than the ''ou'' in ''pour'', then you probably got the transcription right.

Also, that's interesting that you pronounce ''pour'' as /pur/ rather than pronouncing ''poor'' as /pur/, because the few people that I've heard say /pur/ say it for ''poor'' and not for ''pour'' (which they pronounce /pOr/).

I have the more rounded vowel in both of the words, thus for me, ''poor'' and ''pour'' are both /pOr/.

I wonder how the poor-pour distinction that exists for many got reversed in Illinois, to where ''pour'' got the ''food'' vowel instead of ''poor''.

Anyway, As I've said before, The vowel sound /u/ as in ''food'' never occurs before /r/ in my accent. So thus, a pronunciation like /pur/ for any word would not be permitted in my accent.