Which country has the greatest literature?

me   Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 am GMT
i hardly consider romeo and juliet, or even most of shakespeare, to be the epitome of english literature
latino   Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:06 am GMT
Todas las literaturas son de primera clase.

!sois todos unos prepotentes incultos!
ultraderecha   Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 am GMT
<<Todas las literaturas son de primera clase. >>

Obviously, they aren't. I know that's what the PC brigade want you to believe, but it is demonstrably false. How can all literatures be first rate if some languages have no literature whatsoever, and maybe not even a written language? Inconvenient little detail isn't it?

Conclusion: all literatures are not equal. Some literature is shit. Some literature is great. Some literature is better than others.
Die Hure   Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:28 am GMT
Even Portuguese-language literature can be considered as one of the greatest. It's our fault that we know it so little. Starting with Luís de Camões and all that followed in the four and a half centuries. I wonder if he's accessible to the modern reader who's learning Portuguese?
Penetra (TM)   Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:08 pm GMT
Camoes also wrote in Spanish so he can be considered a Spanish writer too. It is interesting to note that at those times Spanish began emerging as a language of culture in Portugal . That many writers , even the Portuguese national author par excellence ,Camoes, wrote in Spanish, proves it. Nonetheless this trend was broken when Portugal declared secession.