Management-speak.....

Rick Johnson   Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
........throughout the English speaking world, this form of English is spoken in boardrooms globally and universally understood by no-one. Or at least, while each word may be comprehensible, whole sentences convey little.

I think anyone who's ever worked in an office will recognize most of these.

Thinking outside of the box
Paradigm shift
Pushing the envelope
Being pro-active
Streamlining
Downsizing
Ball park figures
Touching base
Price hikes
Mission statement
Best practice
Trailblazer
Value added
Syndicate a decision
Up- and-comer
High-flier
Team-player
Get-up-and -go

I once spent an hour and a half in a meeting, listening to some wankers try to define the meaning of the new buzzword "value-added" and how they could apply it to their business.

What are your views- Is management speak a revolution or just an evolution of the English language?
Kirk   Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
Hehe, in one of my jobs I worked with a guy who consistently said "I just wanted to touch base with you..." Something about the phrase irritated me, especially because he said it so often.
Elaine   Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:16 pm GMT
<<Thinking outside of the box

Being pro-active>>

I hear these 2 terms uttered so often by upper management that I'm ready to kill the next one who says it. Grrrr!
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 am GMT
I think we can all unterstand what "price hikes" are -- without ever having spent any time in the company boardroom (at least while the board was in session).
Mxsmanic   Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:14 am GMT
The overuse of buzzwords by a manager is a sign of low intelligence.
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:37 am GMT
LOL!
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:40 am GMT
And that manager probably can't spell very well.
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
A lot of jobs seem to ask or "can do" people, I'm still waiting to see the job ad asking for "can't do" people. Also "championing a cause" seems to be a popular expression.
Cro Magnon   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
Team player = ass kisser!