Difference between two forms

Another Guest   Sat May 08, 2010 9:24 pm GMT
Student
<<You do realize that without non-native speakers finding some English things to be terribly redundant (not because of the difference from their native language but from the difference of other similar English forms), today there would be no such thing as American English, right? >>

Why in the world would there be no American English? Are you under the impression that the differences between SAE and RP are due to non-native speakers? And I'm not sure that you're clear on what the term "redundant" means. It does not mean "overly wordy".
Gordon   Sat May 08, 2010 11:15 pm GMT
<<Uhm, really? So if you were studying a foreign language, you'd just swallow up whatever completely self-contradictory, ridiculous rule which relies on a purely prescriptivist point of view you encounter? >>

If it's what the natives say, then yes, I would be FORCED to imitate them, like it or not.

<<That's not being smart, that's being a fucking pussy. >>

Being a fucking pussy is trying to simplify English into a few cases because you're to lazy to learn it properly. Just face it, you have to learn what sounds right FOR EVERY FUCKING WORD INDIVIDUALLY!!!

<<Your opinion of a native speaker is no more relevant than the opinion of an educated non-native one.>>

My opinion is more relevant because I know what sounds right and you do not. I am enlightened on the correct usage and you are in the dark. The fact that you created this thread and I did not is proof of that.

<<You do realize that without non-native speakers finding some English things to be terribly redundant (not because of the difference from their native language but from the difference of other similar English forms), today there would be no such thing as American English, right? >>

I do not realize that because it is false. What was "redundant" and removed? Where is British English more redundant than American English? They're all but fucking identical in written form.

<<I do agree that in some cases it sounds awkward. "The road's end" is a no even for me. But that feeling of awkwardness is probably from learned usage that from the way it sounds.
>>

Well, here is more proof that your opinion doesn't matter. "The road's end" is fine. You are wrong. It's laughable when you say "I agree it sounds awkward", as though you're capable of identifying what's awkward or not.

<<I would agree if it was a universal English rule, but it's not. There native speakers who are pro and against this rule, therefore I think I can support one of those groups, can't I? >>

No, you can't support one of them. You just sit patiently on the side and wait for the natives to resolve it amongst themselves. When they decide, you go with their verdict, no questions asked.

Got it?
Quintus   Sun May 09, 2010 6:28 am GMT
Minus the abusive tone he has adopted, I have to agree with Gordon on this one---on every point, in fact.

Heed the native speakers---nothing else makes sense.