Asian languages

--   Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 pm GMT
If the aliens form proxima centauri will conquer to us tomorrow, then their language will be the world language!
Thor   Wed May 12, 2010 7:37 pm GMT
"Asian languages will be only important in their regional spheres of influence, but not everywhere....I think that only English, Spanish and French can be considered World languages."

Don't forget that english has become very quickly a world language after the WWII, with the american power. English was before rather a regional language, even during the victorian era, because rarely used as an international language.

So, the same could arrive with chinese, or not.
Chink   Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm GMT
I like rice.
Yuwan   Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 pm GMT
I quite agree that modern Chinese is shitty.
And Mandarin is shitty too.
Yuwan   Mon May 17, 2010 11:55 pm GMT
Three of the four tones in Mandarin are in the high pitch range. That makes you sounds gay. No offense. And they love adding r at the back of a word. That makes them gayer.
William   Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 am GMT
" If the aliens from proxima centauri will conquer to us tomorrow, then their language will be the world language!"

The aliens in "Avatar" live on a moon that orbits a Saturn size planet which in turn orbits Alpha A Centauri, not Proxima Centauri which are both suppose to be part of the same multi-star system. I doubt that the language used by the aliens in "Avatar" will become a world language.

Actually, it is more likely that there are aliens on a planet that orbits
Alpha B Centauri rather than Alpha A Centauri or Proxima Centauri.
Jose Antonio   Tue May 18, 2010 4:51 am GMT
<< Three of the four tones in Mandarin are in the high pitch range. That makes you sounds gay >>

Yes, but the girls sound, oh so melodically sexy ...

Specially when you're pounding them from behind.

Japanese also.

Vietnamese, not so.
minstrel   Tue May 18, 2010 5:01 am GMT
Franco Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 am GMT
> I'm interested in Basque. It's the only surviving Iberian tongue but as Arabic it is quite difficult. The good thing is phonetics , almost identical to Spanish. <

A comparison list with Basque, Inuit / Eskimo and Hokkienese (in Peh-oe-ji).

Basque: gu (we)
Inuit: gu (we)
Hokkienese: gun, goan (we)

Basque: angaila (stretcher)
Eskimo: angiak (spirit of a murdered child)
Hokkienese: 1. giah (hang up one person's arms, feet or somethings) 2. la-giah (a. harvestmen, b. Gagrella splendens)

Hokkienese: kou-a (spirit of the male child), kou-niu (spirit of the female child)

The words of "kou-a" or "kou-niu" that mean the spirit of a natural die child, or a murdered child. The Eskimo "angiak" and Hokkienese "kou-a", "kou-niu" may be the same Shaman belief.

Eskimo: angun (man)
Basque: ango (native person)
Hokkienese: 1. an-kun (kun read as gun; husband), a-kun-a (husband), hu-kun (husband), goa-kun (goa read as gua; my husband) 2. an-ko (read as "an go"; elder brother, sometimes "an-ko" may mean husband in the literary speaking)

Basque: anaia (brother)
Eskimo: ania (brother)
Hokkienese: an-hiann, a-hiann (hiann read as "hia + nn", nn = nasalisation) (elder brother, elder man)

Basque: anaia (brother)
Eskimo: aninga (her brother)
Hokkienese: in-an-ko, in-ko, in-ko-a (ko read as go; their elder brother)

Eskimo: angi (tall)
Basque: andi (tall)
Hokkienese: 1. an (sky) 2. an-tah (tah read as da; give an oath to sky) 3. ti (read as di; something is in the very high places over the top of great mountains)

Basque: alaia (pleasing)
Eskimo: aliak (to please)
Hokkienese: lek (read as lik), or liak (a person do something for some another people, and so make himself feeling tired in spirit)

Eskimo: ano (dog harness)
Basque: ano (dog feed)
Hokkienese: nau (eat something in the mouth, or someone speaks some speech in mouth himself / herself)

Eskimo: apumang (gunwhale)
Basque: apurkor (fragile)
Hokkienese: 1. phut (read as put; put down something with a stick or sword) 2. kou (read as gor; make something into glue-state or fragile)

Eskimo: aqittuq (tender, weak)
Basque: akitu (tired)
Hokkienese: tu, tu-bin (tu, bin read as du, min; a person feel tired and sit down to sleep for a very short time)

Eskimo: aqu (stern of the boat)
Basque: akulu (to push, to prod)
Hokkienese: 1. ko, ko-chun (ko read as goat; row a boat) 2. lou, ioh-lou (lou read as lor; oar)

Eskimo: arautaq (snow beater)
Basque: arrau-taka (oar-to hit, hit with)
Hokkienese: 1. lau (beat) 2. that (read as tart; give a beat with foot)

Basque: egun (day)
Burushaski: gon (dawn)
Iberian: igun (day)
Sumerian: gun (bright)
Hokkienese: kng, kong (read as gng, gong; bright)

Eskimo: amaamak (mother)
Basque: ama (mother)
Hokkienese: am-ma (grandmother), a-ma (mother)
Irony   Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 am GMT
I think it should be a forum rule that you cant post loads of shitty examples on a subject nobody but you gives a fuck about.

Oh and Chinese women are way inferior to Vietnamese women, and I've banged both so I would know.
Yuwan   Tue May 18, 2010 7:24 am GMT
"Yes, but the girls sound, oh so melodically sexy ...

Specially when you're pounding them from behind. "

Not that sexy when you have to listen WOMEN with screechy voices ...

No Pedo in the forum lol
--   Tue May 18, 2010 10:14 am GMT
William Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 am GMT
<<" If the aliens from proxima centauri will conquer to us tomorrow, then their language will be the world language!"

The aliens in "Avatar" live on a moon that orbits a Saturn size planet which in turn orbits Alpha A Centauri, not Proxima Centauri which are both suppose to be part of the same multi-star system. I doubt that the language used by the aliens in "Avatar" will become a world language.

Actually, it is more likely that there are aliens on a planet that orbits
Alpha B Centauri rather than Alpha A Centauri or Proxima Centauri.>>

William, I didn't have Avatar in mind as I posted. There are other SF universes as well, mind you! I also could have said '''the green people form Mars'', but as far as is known upto now, Mars is uninhabited. English is now the world language for many reasons, but if e.g. aliens would come form the stars, their language would be most important for our future, if we aren't instantly iradicated.
Juanjo   Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm GMT
logo   Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 am GMT
< Marco Polo Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 am GMT
Chinese is a language that needs to be learned using the right hemisphere, as opposed to English, which is left-brainish (but highly right-wingish) >

"Chinese character" is a kind of "logogram" that needs to be learned using the right hemisphere, as opposed to "English alphabet" (a kind of letter), which is left-brainish.

Chinese character (logogram) and Chinese (Mandarin language) are two very different matters.

You learned Chinese character (logogram) that need to use the right hemisphere. But, when you learned Mandarin language that you may be use left hemisphere (if Written Mandarin using Latin letter), or right hemisphere (if Written Mandarin using Chinese character).

The English language also can be used the Chinese character (logogram) in Written form (using right hemisphere) as like as the Japanese, or English alphabet (Latin letter) in Written form (using left hemisphere).
minstrel   Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am GMT
Franco
> I'm interested in Basque.

Basque: apo (toad)
Brazilian Portuguese: sapo (toad)
Hokkienese: kou-po (1. small burrowing toads; family pelobatidae, 2. toad)
Hokkienese: chiunn-chu, chiunn-chy (toads; family bufonidae)
minstrel   Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm GMT
more words about frogs and tree frogs in hokkienese (in peh-oe-ji):
am-buinn (Chinchewese: tadpole)
kap-koai (Changchewese: tadpole)
toa-thau-hi (Amoyese: tadpole)
chhan-kap-a (1. paddy frog; rana limnocharis, 2. frog)
sui-koe, sui-ke (1. chinese bullfrog; rana tigrina rugulosa, 2. frog)
chioh-kang (spiny-chested frog)
toa-keh-cheng chioh-kang (giant spiny-chested frog; rana spinosa)
soe-keh-cheng chioh-kang (common spiny-chested frog; rana paraspinosa)
chhinn-ioh (1. tree frogs; family rhacophoridae, 2. tree frog)