Which is more important, Dutch or Swedish?

Jana   Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 pm GMT
?
Matematik   Mon May 10, 2010 11:08 pm GMT
Dutch by far. Dutch has over double the number of native speakers, is spoken by over half of Belgium, is official in one South America country, is a useful lingua franca in Indonesia and is very close to Afrikaans, so is also usable as a lingua franca in South Africa. It also has a lot more academic value than Swedish.

I really don't understand why the Dutch hate their language so much, compared to other perceived minority languages it has a lot going for it, just goes to show what rediculously spineless people the Dutch are. The language should be signed over to Flanders.
Georgette   Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 pm GMT
The Dutch have a low self-esteem because they realize how insignificant their country and language are. Sweden, on the other hand, is by far the coolest country in Europe. It's like France, but without all the ridiculous bullshit.
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm GMT
I would say Dutch. Netherlands (and Flanders) has made more cultural achievements than Sweden. Van Gogh , Van Dyck, Rubens and other painters are delightful.
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 pm GMT
Now that i think, Dutch painters are the most important ones alongside with the Spanish and Italian.
Matematik   Mon May 10, 2010 11:39 pm GMT
<<It's like France, but without all the ridiculous bullshit. >>

How is Sweden like France?
Jason   Mon May 10, 2010 11:59 pm GMT
I would say Dutch too.

The Dutch have achieved alot for such a small country. More people can understand Dutch than Swedish.
Likes Dutch   Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 am GMT
Probably Dutch. Vote Dutch at the new LingQ poll, please. LingQ is a free language learning site (although it has a paying membership as well). I would like to see it added. If Dutch gets as many votes as Korean I hope they add both.
Likes Dutch   Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 am GMT
Btw, if you like Swedish it is already available at LingQ. I started learning Swedish there and although I haven't put much time into it, I am beginning to read it better.
rep   Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 am GMT
Middle Dutch (Franconian and Saxon varieties) had strong influence on all Scandinavian languages (including Swedish):
"Het Zweeds is ontwikkeld uit het Oudnoords, de taal die in een groot deel van Scandinavië rond de 8e eeuw werd gesproken door de Vikingen. Daarna splitste deze taal zich op in het westen en oosten. Tot de oostelijke taal behoorden het Zweeds en het Deens. Maar rond de 12e eeuw splitsten deze talen zich ook weer op in aparte talen. Het Zweeds werd vanaf die tijd beïnvloed door het Latijn en het Grieks en later het Duits en vooral het Nedersaksisch. Ook werden er veel woorden geleend uit het Nederlands, vooral op het gebied van de zeevaart. "
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweeds
fraz   Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am GMT
There are English people who would like to improve their Dutch but are prevented from doing so by the Dutch people's insistence on always speaking English with a foreigner.

Guys, you like to play the role of linguistic guru but it's not fair to exclude others from the party.
crunch   Tue May 11, 2010 9:17 am GMT
<<There are English people who would like to improve their Dutch but are prevented from doing so by the Dutch people's insistence on always speaking English with a foreigner.

Guys, you like to play the role of linguistic guru but it's not fair to exclude others from the party.>>

This is the only area where the Dutch don't display their usual spinelessness. They will insist on speaking English even to the extent of offending (!!!!) their honourable foreign übermenschen guest.

In that respect, at least, they should be commended.
Baldewin   Tue May 11, 2010 5:03 pm GMT
Dutch-speaking have many to offer, but on the literature part, while we have some great writer, we aren't epic like we've been at other disciplines. People genuinely don't like their language here, even though it's slightly improving. Swedish on the other hand DO like their language. I wouldn't be surprised their literature is better, despite being a minuscule language.
fraz   Tue May 11, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
<< People genuinely don't like their language here, even though it's slightly improving >>

Why do people say the Dutch hate their language? Surely you just speak your native tongue with your countrymen without analysing it too much? I can't actually imagine two Dutch people speaking English with each other in private.
JJ   Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 pm GMT
^^ Believe it or not but I have seen two Dutch people speaking english to one another before... they said they just like it.