Linguistic survey !

Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 pm GMT
Why would the 'g' or the 'sch' for that matter spoil anything? That's part of the unique sound of Dutch.
Frank   Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
I agree Sander that it's the part of unique sound of Dutch. But as far as I know what many people don't like about Dutch pronunciation is just this "g". When they hear words like "graag" or "grappig" they say: Oh what a coarse language!
Dawie   Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
The gutteral "g" sound is hardly unique to Dutch. In one form or another it is found in many other European languages, although not always spelt "g". Think of "j" in Spanish for example.
Phil   Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:12 pm GMT
I think swiss-german is nicer sounding
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
=>When they hear words like "graag" or "grappig" they say: Oh what a coarse language! <=

Or they love it. It's all personal, that's what I hate about these surveys...Why can't people just write down one of the two language, and don't bash the other(s).Why not: "I prefer Italian" instead of "I prefer Italian, because Dutch is an ugly disgusting language ... " ?

But on a different matter Dutch has a special place within the Indo-European group. The way we pronounce sentences, not one big slur of words like Germans, Italians, French and virtually every other language but 'cut' into pieces is just one of the features.

I recall the Rat experiment, an test in which rats were tested to see if they could make a difference between languages, in this case Dutch and Japanese they could, do that but they couldn't between Japanese and Portuguese ...

A language whatever the sound is something to be proud of.
anne   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:00 pm GMT
Italian is the best, Dutch is ugly
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
You'll alway keep morons .... ^
Guest   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
If you dont want to contribute >>>Fu(k 0ff

Told you sander...Nobody likes your language ! because it's so so ugly and scary ! ggha ghha gghha
NINJA   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:19 pm GMT
Sander is a kamikaze trying to suicide the thread, to save some of his 3% of linguistic dignity left !

Sander you’re fighting for a lost cause! Your language sux ! and so many other Germanic, except English (more Latin)
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 pm GMT
A troll like Ninja is some of the last people to talk about 'linguistic dignity left '. I might have 3%, you have 0%.
Bardioc   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:34 pm GMT
<<A language whatever the sound is something to be proud of. >>

Yes, I agree!

I ask myself why they're started this thread. Are they so much exposed to more than their mother tounge that they can really judge another language to be / to sound better than their tounge or another arbitrarily chosen language?

And, Sander, I wonder if someone really spent time and money to train rats to distinuage between languages? Can you tell us more about that experiment. To me, it seems like a wast of time and money. Don't we need it for more serious needs?
Dawie   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
If you want to hear a more "modern" version of Dutch, I would suggest listening to Afrikaans. It's a descendant of 17th century Dutch with an African twist! In many ways Dutch has a much harsher accent than Afrikaans.

Sander, dit wil nou nie sê dat ek iets teen Nederlands het nie. Daar's blykbaar grooter verskil tussen die dialekte binne Nederland as daar is tussen Nederlands en Afrikaans. Maar vir ons klink Nederlands 'n bietjie vreemd en onvriendelik.
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
Bardioc,

I believe it had something to do with the intelligence of rats..

This is an article from the innitial fase...

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6856
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
=>Sander, dit wil nou nie sê dat ek iets teen Nederlands het nie. Daar's blykbaar grooter verskil tussen die dialekte binne Nederland as daar is tussen Nederlands en Afrikaans. Maar vir ons klink Nederlands 'n bietjie vreemd en onvriendelik. <=

Ek weet wat jy bedoel, maar ek is dit eens met die stelling die sê dat Afrikaans moderner is dan Nederlands.Die verskille tussen die dialekte is seker groër maar dit geld nie vir gramatika nie.

Die lyk my onmogelyk dat Nederlands vreemd klink, want baie digterby kom andere tale nie. ;-)
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
eens = nie eens nie