Confused about /s/ and /z/

Clari   Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 am GMT
My question is:
What is the correct pronunciation of the z in "citizen"?
My dictionary shows that it shall be /z/, but I heard Mr. Bush, Mr. Obama, Ms Hillary Clinton all pronounce the citizen as /sitisn/ in their speeches, why? I am so confused.

A similar question is, what is the sound for the s in "resource"? Some dictionaries show that it shall be /z/, while others indicate /s/. Which one is correct or more common?

To me, the s/z sound is very hard, since there seem no well-defined rules for the correct pronunciation of letter s. It is really a lot of work to learn the s in each word by heart. Any advice? Here are some example words
/z/ sound: reason, refuse, use (verb), rose, rise, please
/s/ sound: plus, pass, use (noun)
Krakkk   Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm GMT
Both words can be pronounced either with an s or a z.
Just use whichever you feel more comfortable with.

You'll find that most of the time, when the s is not in the end of the word, it will be pronounced s. So it's just easier to pronounce it that way and learn only the words which are NOT pronounced with a z.
citizen   Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm GMT
Citizen *is* pronounced /'sIt@s@n/, surprisingly enough, but some people will voice the /s/ as a [z]. It is spelt with a <z> though. I'm sure some people will more naturally pronounce it with a /z/, because of the spelling--and they will probably sometimes devoice it to an [s].
Loyola   Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 pm GMT
It is pronounced with a voiced consonant:
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/citizen

With [s] it's plain wrong, just like [s] in ''boys, lies, dies, news'', the vowel is [z] and not [s]. Devoicing is so Chicagoan /Wisconsinite, because of their Norwegian and Slavic influences.
Loyola   Thu May 13, 2010 5:57 pm GMT
It is pronounced with a voiced consonant:
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/citizen

With [s] it's plain wrong, just like [s] in ''boys, lies, dies, news'', the consonant is [z] and not [s]. Devoicing is so Chicagoan /Wisconsinite, because of their Norwegian and Slavic influences. Since both Obama and Hillary have [had] Chicagoan influences it's no wonder they have these sloppy features in their accent.
Skippy   Fri May 14, 2010 2:33 am GMT
They both have /s/. /sItIsIn/ and /risors/
Another Guest   Fri May 14, 2010 3:39 am GMT
I prefer s for both, and for "resource" I find z rather odd. Strangely, z doesn't sound odd to me in "resourceful".

It's good that you've noticed that "use" is pronounced differently depending on whether it's a verb or a noun, but something else that you should be aware of is that it is pronounced with an s if it is a /modal/ verb. For instance, in "I used to live there", "used" should be pronounced with an s (and probably a flap t). In "I used the dictionary to find the definition", however, "used" should be pronounced with a z, and no flap t.
hh   Mon May 17, 2010 12:37 pm GMT
<<For instance, in "I used to live there", "used" should be pronounced with an s (and probably a flap t). In "I used the dictionary to find the definition", however, "used" should be pronounced with a z, and no flap t. >>

Isn't that purely because when it's a modal verb, "used" is always followed by "to", hence the devoicing of [z] into [s] ?
Kendra   Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm GMT
translate [z]
visa [s]
Trimac20   Tue May 18, 2010 5:06 am GMT
I think saying 's' in 'citizen' is an Americanism, or some kind of an affectation. I say 'z'. Resource is usually with an 's' although 'resources' is sometimes said with a 'z'.
Clari   Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am GMT
<<Kendra Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm GMT
translate [z]
visa [s]
>>
Are you sure? But my dictionary shows just the opposite!
translate [s]
visa [z]
Kendra   Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 am GMT
my dictionary shows just the opposite!

Maybe your dictionary is British ;)
Wrong   Tue May 25, 2010 12:41 pm GMT
Visa IS spelled with a /z/

Visa with a /s/ is the credit card. Visa (the passport) is with a /z/

Translate can be either with a /z/ or /(t)s/

...American English
Quintus   Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm GMT
>>Visa IS spelled with a /z/ >>

I think you meant to type "pronounced" - not "spelled".

You knew the passport visa is spelled with an 's' as well, no matter where one is flying from, right ?