Is this grammatically correct?

Thank You   Thu May 13, 2010 8:17 am GMT
Is it grammatically correct to say 'This is my first time to write you a letter'?

I feel that something is not right in the sentence but I can't explain it. Can anyone help to clarify it for me?

I would say 'This is the first time I write you a letter'.

Thanks in advance.
Beached Whale   Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
Instead of "This is my first time to write you a letter", use "This is my first time writing you a letter" or, "This is my first time writing a letter to you" or probably best, "This is the first time I've written you a letter." Or you could rephrase it as "I've never written you a letter before, but..."

i think "This is the first time I write you a letter" is technically grammatically correct, but it sounds weird.
Thank You   Fri May 14, 2010 12:05 am GMT
Thanks Beached Whale. That's a great help.
Another Guest   Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 am GMT
Technically, it should be "written a letter to you" instead of "written you a letter", but it's commonly accepted in English to write [verb] [indirect object] [direct object] instead of [verb] [direct object] [preposition] [indirect object]. Other than that, I agree with Beached Whale's ranking. There definitely is something odd about "first time to write", but "first time I write" is even worse.
???   Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 am GMT
>>Technically, it should be "written a letter to you" instead of "written you a letter", but it's commonly accepted in English to write [verb] [indirect object] [direct object] instead of [verb] [direct object] [preposition] [indirect object]. <<

Why? I've never heard anything about only the verb, direct onject, prep, ind object sequence being right.
Thank You   Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 pm GMT
Thanks guys for the explanations. You guys are very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------

I just looked up the word 'write' in two dictionaries.

Cambridge says:
UK: She hasn't written to me recently.
US: She hasn't written me recently.

Longman says:
UK: write to - I've written to my MP, and to the city council.
US: write somebody - Chris hasn't written me for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------

Am I right to assume that it is more appropriate to write "This is the first time I have written a letter to you" at the end of a letter? It doesn't seem logical to me to start a letter with this sentence because the letter has not been written yet at that point.

Can I write "I'm writing to you for the first time" instead to begin a letter? Does that sound natural to a native speaker of English?

Thanks in advance.
Kay   Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 pm GMT
Note though that "write to" is not chiefly British. You can use both the "write to" or the "write somebody" form in American English.
---

Yeah, you'd use the "have written" form in the end. You could also write "This is the first time I've written you a letter." which would roughly mean the same thing

Likewise, you could write "This is the first time I'm writing you a letter" (in the beginning.)
Thank You   Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 am GMT
Thanks for your helpful explanation, Kay!