New theory

Sir Francisco   Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 am GMT
It really sounds like he was actually referring to the "English Armada", sent to the Iberian coast by Queen Elizabeth I of England in 1589. The campaign resulted in a humiliating defeat and an embarrassing withdrawal with heavy English losses both in lives and ships.

Spain's rebuilt navy had quickly recovered and exceeded its former numerical preponderance at sea, allowing it to maintain control over its own sea lanes, and thereby safely ship even larger amounts of precious metals.

This shameful defeat of the English fleet allowed the Spanish to consolidate their hold on territories in the Americas and effectively bar the English from launching further colonial efforts there during the remainder of Elizabeth's reign. Spain's mainland American empire was to last until the early 19th century, whereas British were reduced to a few outposts that were doomed to be effectively kicked off, as it finally happened.

Oh, the Good Ol' Times ...
More info at: http://wesulm.bravehost.com/history/eng_armada.htm
Admiral Cortez   Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 am GMT
True but at least they didn't side with the Nazis and get conquered by muslims.
Carlos I de EspaƱa   Sat May 15, 2010 10:04 am GMT
If Spain had sided with the Nazis you'd be speaking Deutsch today, so thank Spain for stopping them at their tracks at Hendaya.

So much ignorance in this world. I should be getting paid for teaching History in this Forum, really.
Franco   Sat May 15, 2010 7:20 pm GMT
Thank you, Carlos. You do know your history very well.
Balloon from Ballonia   Sat May 15, 2010 9:43 pm GMT
Spain is the maintainer of Europe. Actually, BeNeLux should become a Spanish Autonomous Community. Official languages: German, French, Dutch and Castillian. Everyone must know Castillian.

We Balloons like to speak French, but for a change we want to speak a cultured language.