Should English-speaking countries scrap foreign languages?

fraz   Mon May 17, 2010 2:23 pm GMT
In the UK, many millions of pounds are spent teaching foreign languages to children, the vast majority of whom cannot speak more than a token few phrases when they leave school. In most cases, even this fades away due to lack of use.

Only a tiny percentage of English speakers will ever need a firm command of a foreign language for employment, social or travel reasons. Those that do can study under their own steam or enrol in a formal course.

Is there really any point in teaching French and German to the masses? Of course, we do need to train speakers of these (and other) languages but that could be the job of a dedicated language institute. And if people want to learn a language of their choice for leisure purposes then they can pursue that independently.
Carlos I de España   Mon May 17, 2010 3:21 pm GMT
More than a million British have taken up residence in Spain.

More than 15 million British tourists visit Spain every year.

So, I dare to say that it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they could utter a few more words in Spanish apart from "servesa"...
disagree   Mon May 17, 2010 5:36 pm GMT
I entirely disagree. I enjoyed taking a foreign language in school. I am sure that it has helped me in other subjects. Just because I can only say "hello" "goodbye", "waiter", burrito, taco, enchilada, and "where is the bathroom?" it is still a valuable thing to learn. For instance, if ever go to a restaurant in, say, Mexico, or Brazil, I would be easily able to get quicker service in the restaurant, than just shouting "waiter!" in English. If I should need to use the bathroom in the restaurant I know what to say. And since I can read (but not understand) words, I can just say, for example, "Hola! Una burrito!"
Franco   Mon May 17, 2010 6:00 pm GMT
Why do the English use "feet", "pounds" and other backward measure units?
Can't they use meters and kilograms like normal people do?
Also, what type of foot for example? Doesn't it depend on particular foot size?.
PARISIEN   Mon May 17, 2010 7:40 pm GMT
<< Why do the English use "feet", "pounds" and other backward measure units?
Can't they use meters and kilograms like normal people do? >>

-- Pour ton information, la métrification est très avancée en GB comme au Canada (moins aux USA).

Cependant, je dois dire que certaines mesures impériales ont l'avantage d'être plus intuitives que celles métriques. Je trouve plus facile d'évaluer instinctivement une distance en miles (= le "milla passum" romain) qu'en km.
fraz   Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 pm GMT
<<I entirely disagree. I enjoyed taking a foreign language in school. I am sure that it has helped me in other subjects. Just because I can only say "hello" "goodbye", "waiter", burrito, taco, enchilada, and "where is the bathroom?" it is still a valuable thing to learn. >>

Doesn't that prove that the current system isn't working. It's a farce that kids spend several years learning a language in school yet can barely utter a sentence when they leave. I would expect to make more progress in 3 months if studying by myself.

Either teach people to SPEAK languages or drop them.
Franco   Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 pm GMT
<<Doesn't that prove that the current system isn't working. It's a farce that kids spend several years learning a language in school yet can barely utter a sentence when they leave. I would expect to make more progress in 3 months if studying by myself.

>>

The same happens with the rest of subjects: maths, physics, etc.
True   Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 pm GMT
Your right Fraz.

The languages that they learn in the Schools are bullshit. Most of them can't string a sentence together when they leave the school, the only ones that can are the ones that have studied at home as well as school.
Thinks   Mon May 17, 2010 9:33 pm GMT
disagree, Is that all you know..? how many years did you study to get to that level..?
mmmmm   Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 pm GMT
What about. Hola, buenos días, ¿puedes traerme una burrito .. Por Favor..?
Juanjo   Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 pm GMT
How about,
una cafe con leechee .. Per Favor..?
Gracias amiguo, ahora puede irse a cagar,
jeje, es solo broma, yo es mucho payaso,
jeje, per favor no pegue en cabeza, nesesita para estudiar, jeje
crunch   Mon May 17, 2010 11:09 pm GMT
I guess it's better than learning about homosexuality, tolerance, climate change, sex education, bestiality etc...
crunch   Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 pm GMT
I am a raving homosexual!!!
Suprised   Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 am GMT
The same happens with the rest of subjects: maths, physics, etc.

Holy crap. I had the same thought as Franco. I've been here to long if I'm thinking like him.
mmmmm   Tue May 18, 2010 7:31 am GMT
me voy a plantar un pino..