Is French phonology closer to that of German or Spanish?

gt   Wed May 19, 2010 3:59 pm GMT
?
rep   Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm GMT
German and French phonology is much closer than Spanish and French.
English geezer   Wed May 19, 2010 5:10 pm GMT
What on earth dose 'phonology' mean when it's at home?
Franco   Wed May 19, 2010 5:41 pm GMT
I'm studying German and some of my classmates who have studied French too said German sounded a lot like French. I don't share their appreciation though. To me French sounds more like Portuguese than any other language.
Harman   Wed May 19, 2010 5:47 pm GMT
French sounds me quite catala, rather than german. So its phonetic is closer to latin languages like spanish than germanic ones.
Invité d'honneur   Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 pm GMT
As far as the vowel sounds of the languages considered are concerned, many are common to French and German AND are absent in Spanish.

French <=> German
— "eu" in "deux" <=> "ö" in "schön"
— "eu" in "neuf" <=> "ö" in "Hölle"
— "e" in "le" <=> "e" in "Blüte"
— "u" in "butte" <=> "ü" in "Blüte"
— "ê" in "être" <=> "e" in "Bett"
— "o" in "porte" <=> "o" in "voll"

All vowel sounds common to French and Spanish exist in German as well. In fact, the entire vowel phonology of Spanish is only a subset of the French and German ones.

French <=> German <=> Spanish
— "a" in "arbre" <=> "a" in "Kamm" <=> "a" in "ojalá"
— "é" in "thé" <=> "ee" in "Seele" <=> "e" in "sobre"
— "i" in "riz" <=> "ie" in "Miete" <=> "i" in "primero"
— "o" in "orange" <=> "o" in "Kohl" <=> "o" in "todo"
— "ou" in "choux" <=> "u" in "Mut" <=> "u" in "sur"

The nasal vowel sounds are French only.
again   Thu May 20, 2010 7:01 am GMT
French and German "r" sounds similar: La rose-die Rose (r=h). Spanish "r" sounds quite different: La rosa (r=rr).
again   Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 am GMT
French "ch"=German "sch"=English "sh". Spanish language hasn't that consonant.
German   Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm GMT
French sounds more like Portuguese! The nasal vowels, the alphabet.
Franco   Thu May 20, 2010 2:44 pm GMT
<<French "ch"=German "sch"=English "sh". Spanish language hasn't that consonant.

>>

Yes it has. In some Andalusian varieties "ch" is realized as English "sh".
MWL   Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 pm GMT
Many Spanish speakers in Argentina and Uruguay pronounce LL and Y like English "sh".
.   Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 pm GMT
<<To me French sounds more like Portuguese than any other language.>>

<<French sounds me quite catala, rather than german. So its phonetic is closer to latin languages like spanish than germanic ones. >>

<<French sounds more like Portuguese>>

I must say, you gave a rather Heroic attempt at trying to deflect from the harsh and inevitable Truth of the matter, but the discussion opens with comparing French/Spanish/German only.

And you failed quite miserably I might add.
Ethelred   Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 pm GMT
When attempting English both French and Mexican sound almost identical.
Statian   Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm GMT
<<Many Spanish speakers in Argentina and Uruguay pronounce LL and Y like English "sh".>>

To my ear Argentinians have a "zh" sound for LL, which sounds like French J.

On the other hand, Spanish J and German CH are alike with no equivalent in regular French.

On the third hand (just borrow one), Spanish and German have a similar stuttery rhythm but French flows smoothly like slime out of a jar.
Franco   Fri May 21, 2010 12:13 am GMT
Spanish and German L are the same too. But German and Spanish do not flow alike at all. My German teacher speaks very good Spanish for a German but her intonation is quite strange . I couldn't describe it but it's a bit like a voice synthesizer kind of intonation. I don't think intonation of French speakers when they speak Spanish is particularly awkward on the other hand. What I find most amusing in German accent is how they pronounce Spanish S, that is, like Z in zoo. Sometimes my teacher even pronounces S like Spanish Z which is strange because the TH sound (like in Zapato) does not exist in German. Or maybe she learn it and liked a lot .