German or Russian

kumori   Sun May 23, 2010 4:02 am GMT
Hello, I come from China, my native language is Mandarin, my major is Japanese, and I'm learning French on my own, now I plan to choose another language to learn by myself, between German and Russian, maybe I wouldn't have any opportunities to speak German or Russian with the suppliers of our companies, and in the conversation with our clients, but I'm just quite interested in difficult languages such as Russian, German, Arabic, and so on, and I've already given up Arabic, so there're still 2 options, German or Russian? Thanks!
Lucilda   Sun May 23, 2010 4:13 am GMT
German.
lucien   Sun May 23, 2010 7:41 am GMT
Difficult languages?? German is not more difficult than French for a Chinese... Even English is pretty hard for the Chinese people
Matematik   Sun May 23, 2010 8:21 am GMT
Chink's shouldn't speak Western languages. I would go as far to see we pronounce Mandarin and Japanese better than you pronounce English or Russian. It's almost as if the Asian voice box is less developed than Westerners.
ketchup   Sun May 23, 2010 10:21 pm GMT
I think you should choose Russian,not German
Russia is your neighbor,but Germany is too far.
tedia   Mon May 24, 2010 2:28 am GMT
I think u should learn Swedish.
As I can know, Chinese will speak good Swedish when they learn it.
Their intonation is quite similar.
rep   Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am GMT
German is language of science and culture.
iMac   Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 am GMT
Russian has been becoming increasingly unpopular among those countries of former Soviet Union.

German is quite popular not only in western Europe, but also in eastern Europe, while Russian has never been an important language in western Europe.
opinion   Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm GMT
German is increasingly popular among English culture icones. English culture returns to his roots-North Germany.
kumori   Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 am GMT
Is Russian really more difficult to learn than German for the Chinese?
fraz   Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 pm GMT
German is the more important business language at the moment but that situation should start to change in 15-20 years.

Depends if you're taking a long-term view.
Franco   Wed May 26, 2010 2:11 pm GMT
German of course.
kumori   Thu May 27, 2010 7:33 am GMT
fraz: . . . . . . but that situation should start to change in 15-20 years. Depends if you're taking a long-term view.

Would you please explain about "a long-term view"?
Soriano   Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 am GMT
El alemán, sin duda alguna.