Is anyone knows how to speak Filipino?

suiluj   Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 am GMT
Im a german. when I heard a filipino speaking his native language,I find it very interesting, it sounds like Spanish because of some the clarity of pronouncing the words with spanish-derived words, it also sounds like other asiatic languages because it shares some vocabulary with chinese,japanese,malay,thai,sanskrit etc. Accdg. To what i had read. It seems that its an all-in one language, and many had said that their language is one of the easiest asian language to learn, as it is very flexible and wide vocabulary compared to other asian languages.

Is someone here learning filipino language? What do you think?
crunch   Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 am GMT
There's something wrong and inferior about those Asian languages that are written in the Latin alphabet. I don't know, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Latin aphabet or anything superior about characters or other Asian scripts, quite the contrary I am very pro Latin alphabet, but still, Asian languages should be written in Asian scripts. It makes me think there must be something wrong with their civilisation or their IQ. They weren't capable of creating their own script, so they had to borrow a foreign one, and a Western one at that. At least Japanese borrowed Chinese characters and so on, but Western? So, what is the reason? Is it because they are lesser civilisations, weaker and not self-sufficient, serf-like?
i am a guest   Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 am GMT
I know how to speak a basic filipino, I learned it for 3 days only and filipinos understand me well even though Im not that good in pronouncing some words, but yes, i agree, their language is so flexible and easy to learn the basic, and it really help me a lot in traveling around the philippines. But generally, filipinos speak a fluent english so i had no hard time having a conversation with filipinos.
guest a   Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 am GMT
to crunch: fyi, filipinos have their own alphabet called Alibata, theyre just using the latin alphabet, because spanish colonizers forced filipinos to use it.
Filipinos are already have a sultanate kingdom and laws even before the spanish era,so its not true that filipinos are less civilized.
NOT ALL WHITE ARE SUPERIORS IN THIS WORLD,
Kaya huwag kang mangmamaliit ng ganyan, dahil hindi mo alam kung sino kaming mga pilipino.
jam   Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 am GMT
Filipino language is very easy to learn, I took up a 3 week Filstudy, and i can say that im really fluent in speaking their language, and spelling is also easy to learn, because they spell the word as it is pronounce.
crunch   Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 am GMT
<<filipinos have their own alphabet called Alibata, theyre just using the latin alphabet, because spanish colonizers forced filipinos to use it. >>

Ok, thanks for the elucidation. So it looks like my hypothesis about a "lesser civilisations, weaker and not self-sufficient, serf-like" was the correct one.
Coldsummer   Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 am GMT
It's a very good language, being a Spanish, I also had no hard time learning their language. If you are a good speaker of spanish and english, you'll find it very easy.
monsoon   Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 am GMT
crunch: I think you're off the topic, You are making a fight outta here..

I had learn the Cebuano language,it is also a philippine language, I learned it for 4 weeks only!
josef   Tue May 25, 2010 4:24 am GMT
Tagalog or Filipino language is very easy to learn because it composes a very large bank of vocabulary from malay, sanskrit, chinese, japanese, spanish, english and arabic. Yes, it is truly an all-in-one language.
Semanario de Filipinas   Tue May 25, 2010 5:38 am GMT
The official Filipino languages are Tagalog and English (and Spanish, until 30 years ago).

Cebuano, although not official has the largest share of native speakers. For a Spanish-speaking person they all fairly easy to learn. Chavacano, further South is very much like Spanish, probably as much as 90% of it.

Tagalog and Cebuano also have a large share of Malay, By the way, the modern Malay alphabet (Malay: Rumi) is based on the Latin alphabet.

There's something intrinsically wrong and inferior about those twits that rant about different races and cultures (I'm talking about you Franco, I can smell you from the distance, being such a coward terrified of equal opportunity scenarios) . And also very ignorant, according to that theory, only Romans should be allowed to use the Latin Alphabet.

This is the same guy that tried to discourage a Filipino from learning Spanish.
Putting down Spanish culture and kissing British twits arses, over and over.
Jz   Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 am GMT
I'm studying Tagalog here in california filstudy, since last week, I can have a conversation with native speakers and they said that I already have a very understandable tagalog speak because I can pronounce the words very well with a real tagalog accent. And native filipinos really help me a lot to achieve this fluency. ''Madaming Sallamat sakanilang mga tolong at supporta'' ( thanks a lot for help and their support!)
coldsummer   Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 am GMT
I wish i had a native tagalog accent like you, hit it!

Even though Im fluent in speaking, I just cant remove my english accent...
Jz   Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 am GMT
i thought you're a spanish? Why english accent?
coldsummer   Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 am GMT
Im a spanish-blooded, but they raised me here in Dover.
manny   Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 am GMT
<< fyi, filipinos have their own alphabet called Alibata,... >>

It's called "Baybayin".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baybayin