"practiCe" in AE and BrE?

Uriel   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:54 am GMT
Oh, don't feel bad -- it was just a minor correction!

I'm surprised that English learners really feel that there is such a vast difference between US English and British (I won't even get into the other varieties) and stress over which one to learn. I guess because I already speak the language, I just look at it as minor variations in accent and spelling that don't really impede communication. Every language has its variants, and some are much more pronounced than the difference between American and British English! Yet ESL learners really seem to worry about this distinction -- do you really find it the two so different?
Sarah   Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:18 am GMT
Hi Uriel.
After one year I will choose between two majors ( translation \ literature ) ,so I will chosse the first because the second is so difficult because you must write a long story ,also I like to communicate and talk with the native speakers .I feel confuse when I listen to BRITISH speaker because the sound of (r) is bit difficult ,but anyway I enjoy ssssssssssssooo much when I listen or heard any one talks English . I want when I talk with native to be like them..!!
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:15 pm GMT
reality check...american english is not a language folks. english is (british), anyting else is a diffrent variation of the english language...period.
Tiffany   Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
Sure, all versions of English are variations. Reality cheack... so is British, and there is definitely more than one variation there.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
Hello,

It has nothing to do with different dialects and accents Tiffany. One question: does an American student learn Canadian French or French spoken in France when they go to class? The answer to that question reinforces the fact that I presented. That is, that Canadian French is not a language, but a different variation of French spoken in France witch in turn. Is authentic French.
Tiffany   Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
No clue about the variety of French that is learned since I never took it, but I did take Spanish. We didn't learn the variety from Spain, but rather Latin American Spanish. The answer to this question bursts your myth.

The point is the language is English, not matter if you speak the British, American, South African, Australian or New Zealand variety, etc.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 pm GMT
No clue about whether you are being taught real French or another variation of the language (such as the Canadian) in school? Then let me tell you that it is French, the authentic version. (One learn something new everyday) Interesting that you learn Latin American Spanish rather then Spanish, has that to do with the fact that you have so many Latin Americans in the United States?. In Europe and in Asia we are being taught the origin of a language instead of the variation of it. Finally, I think that you are misunderstanding me, what I said was that English (British) is the authentic language, includes words, spelling and so on. And the others are variations of that language. I hope that I was clear enough when explaining the differences between them.
JJM   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:31 pm GMT
Eric, you really are a tiresome, small minded little person.
Tiffany   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 pm GMT
Oh, I am not misunderstanding you in the least. I remain firm that this is your own personal agenda. You want to believe only BrE is "true" English. Fine, subscribe to whatever belief you'd like, but please do not try to convince this board that your view is the correct one.

If you do not want your view contested, don't post here. You might do well to start another forum with Adam. He'd agree with you 100%.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 pm GMT
How nice to be asking a question and then being label as a "small minded little person", as so nicely and politely put by JJM. With all do respect I would say that he him self labels himself as such. And by god Tiffany, you are absolutely way off, personal agenda? Next thing you will most likely say, that I am trying to enforce or oppress people? You need to calm down. Furthermore there is (based on facts) nothing to be contested. As I stated in a previous post, English (British) is the language and then you have several variations of that language. Were lies the problem?, were am I wrong?. Maybe I missed something in history class?. Last but not least, I always want to learn new things, and that was why I asked you the question about Latin American Spanish. But again you seem to simply want to misunderstand me, for reasons unknown to me. And I think that it is said…

Take care.
Tiffany   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 pm GMT
No Eric, you said:

<<what I said was that English (British) is the authentic language, includes words, spelling and so on>>

I said you said:

<<You want to believe only BrE is "true" English>>

I see no misunderstanding here. This is what you said.
JJM   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
Tiffany:

Indeed.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
English (British) is the authentic language; the others are variations of that language. And to answer your question (gave you some space there). Yes English (British) is the closest you can get to the purest form of the language. And yes I prefer English but that does not mean that I do not appreciate the different "colours" of its variations. As you keep on wanting to believe. I hope that that settled it and that there will be no more verbal abuse.

Again, take care
JJM   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
Here's the bad news for you, Eric. You don't "own" English any more than the French "own" French.

If Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, South Africans, Indians etc., etc. want to take "their" English in different directions to "yours," they can and will.

Have a nice day.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 pm GMT
See no need to address some kind of “general alert”. There is no problem with any ownership and such, since the British as well as the French has no intention of changing there own languages, why should they?. And different directions have already been taken, so were is the fire?. However if any one wishes to learn the origin of a language they should go to that specific country, may be English, French, German, Italian and so on. Although it seems to be irrational and offensive to some.

Have a nice day as well JJM.