Do Americans learn European Spanish or Latin American Sp.

WESLEY   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 am GMT
When Americans learn Spanish in school, do they learn the Mexican version of Spanish seeing that Mexico is next to the USA or do they learn the European version of Spanish?

Just a question I always wanted to know.
Drake   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:44 am GMT
From my own experience, I think they teach the European version officially in schools, but I've seen that most people are actually more interested in the Mexican/Latin American kind, and for some reason try to imitate those accents when speaking.
Franco   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:52 am GMT
In Europe they learn European Spanish and in America they learn American Spanish. Are you surprised?
Wesley   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 am GMT
But that is so stupid!!! To teach kids the European version, if the majority of Spanish speakers are from Latin America and America borders Latin America not Europe!

Never mind the millions of Latin American speakers in America, they go and teach the European version.

(lol only Americans)
Franco   Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:07 am GMT
<< But that is so stupid!!! To teach kids the European version, if the majority of Spanish speakers are from Latin America and America borders Latin America not Europe!

>>

Well, most of French speakers are in Africa yet Parisian French is taught around the world. There are more factors involved...
Drake   Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:30 am GMT
I'm not sure if that's the case for all or even most schools. Just saying that's what my teachers personally did. Vosotros was used.
Cnaeus Mchpaeus   Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 am GMT
<<Well, most of French speakers are in Africa yet Parisian French is taught around the world. There are more factors involved... >>

In Ontario, I wonder if they teach Parisian French, or Quebec French?

(slight topic drift here)
Jorjor   Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 am GMT
Latin American, since they assume people will go to mexico or some place close. My teacher and many other tend to skip the vosotros conjugations, especially if they want to get through material quickly. so I am trying to self teach myself.
Matematik   Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:28 am GMT
In my experience many Americans aren't even aware Spanish is the national language of Spain, most seem to assume it was somehow born in Latin America.
Franco   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am GMT
European Spanish is more classy.
olasz   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am GMT
Spanish and particularly European Spanish is a peasant language. Spanish along with Romanian are the most unpleasant latin languages.
Franco   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:46 am GMT
Portuguese is a peasant language. It is Spanish but badly spoken.
latino   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 am GMT
Es la misma versión puesto que solamente hay "UNA SOLA GRAMATICA", la de las 22 academias unidas,una de ellas la estadounidense.

esta es la grandeza de nuestra lengua la "koiné perfecta" que permite 1000 acentos sabrosones, uno por cada pueblo donde viva un latino, pero sin embargo nos entendemos todos y las 22 academias hacen la "gramatica universal".

lo vuestro es un tema para dividir, pero que ya esta superado por el negocio de las telenovelas , las cuales sobre al acento mexicano/californiano por razón de demografia "naturalmente" hablan un "ESPAÑOL NEUTRO" entendido en todo el mundo con vocabulario común a todo el mundo (no ofensivo en otra tierra) y dejando sin enbargo hablar a cada uno en su acento sabrosón y con sus palabras propias de cada uno sin ningún problema.

"unidad en la diversidad " lemas de las 22 academias de esta Koiné perfecta. .

ES DECIR TODO LO CONTRARIO A VUESTRO INTERES. CADA DIA MAS UNIDOS Y CADA DIA NOS ENTENDEMOS MEJOR.

!QUE VIVA MEXICO " (de un español)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfFgjAvZuEo
BB   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am GMT
Only 45 million people in Spain can speak Spanish compared to the 280 million native speakers living in Latin America.

Like Brazilian Portuguese, Latin American Spanish and not European Spanish, will be the Spanish of the future.

You will see Spain will have to adapt in the next 50 years their spelling to accomodate the majority of Spanish speakers in Latin America, the same why Portugual is changing it's spelling to fit in with Brazilian Portuguese.
guarro   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 am GMT
Portuguese is a peasant language. It is Spanish but badly spoken

Not completely true. Spanish is much more simplified grammatically and phonetically. In my opinion, Portuguese is much more interesting as a language..